Microsoft & AOL Settle Antitrust Lawsuit

SteveC

Storage is cool
Microsoft agreed to pay AOL $750 million and, more importantly, licensed Internet Explorer to them for 7 years, royalty free. Now, it seems very unlikely that AOL will switch to Mozilla, which would have been a big boost for alternate browsers. The complete story is here.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm afraid, as a moderator, that my response to this news item cannot be reproduced in this or any other forum frequented by our membership.

Anyone who wants 10 paragraphs of adulterated filth, feel free to PM me.

Mercutio

Of course, if I could adulterate my filth, I'd be able to post it. Consider that an offer for UNadulterated filth, instead.

While we're at it, AOL paid $4 billion for Netscape in 1998. At the time, Netscape's core assets were its browser, its various server products and the X million hits per day at the netscape.com portal site. Perhaps most valuable of all, AOL purchased the rights to sue the pants off Microsoft.

... The netscape.com portal died as a popular destination, to the best of my knowledge, by about mid-2000.
The browser was never adopted by AOL, and languished until late milestone releases of Mozilla. It remains, by most standards, a niche product.
The server products were adopted by sun. I believe they're still all being developed.

In short, today AOL wrote off $4 billion dollars with a $750M bribe. How about that.

In other news, Richard Parsons has just pulled ahead of Bill Gates and Jen-Hsun Huang in the "Person I most would like to see rectally violated with a bowling ball covered with fine-grit sandpaper or Verne Troyer" race.

I know, it's AOL. I shouldn't expect any better.

Is it too late to stop hoping for the "Spontaneous Building Collapse" thing?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
In other news, Richard Parsons has just pulled ahead of Bill Gates and Jen-Hsun Huang in the "Person I most would like to see rectally violated with a bowling ball covered with fine-grit sandpaper or Verne Troyer" race.
Boff...if you succeed to insert the bowling ball, it would kill them within seconds. That would be kinda boring IMO. However, trying the same with a snooker ball would certainly be much more entertaining to watch.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
CougTek said:
Boff...if you succeed to insert the bowling ball, it would kill them within seconds. That would be kinda boring IMO. However, trying the same with a snooker ball would certainly be much more entertaining to watch.
I've always favored the commercial tree chipper/shredder, feet first, feed them in slowly so it takes a few minutes.

- Fushigi

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
mubs said:
You guys have a fascination for balls and people's rears.

I would like to be excluded from this group, as my fascinations do not include balls and people's rears. However, forcing the consumption of large amounts of liquor on these individuals, then placing them, sparingly clothed, marooned on an iceberg, in freezing weather, with several hungry polar bears, sounds reasonably imaginable.

Mercutio

If we're talking liqour and people's rears, there's an even better answer:

Alcohol affects the body no matter how it gets in there. Ingestion? Passe. Two gallons of single-malt, offered as an enema, would undoubtedly introduce alcohol poisoning AND lead to a certain feeling for discomfort for one's scant remaining time.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck, you made no mention of balls or rears, so you were not included in "guys" in my first post.

Fushigi, Coug is bad and Merc is worse. You're the absolute worst. Imagine, a commercial tree chipper/shredder being fed slowly into somebody's rear.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
In short, today AOL wrote off $4 billion dollars with a $750M bribe. How about that.

19 cents on the dollar is a better ROI than most companies got for the overpriced aquisitions they made during dotbomb era.

Mercutio said:

Where would you put SCO on that list?

Mercutio

Is this really a thread we need to continue at this point?

About ninth. I'm actually fairly confident that SCO will implode nicely all by itself. The current situation really hasn't impacted my view of SCO. They were stupid and evil before they were bought by Caldera, and they're stupid and evil now. Kind of like Jim Carrey, only less frightening.