MicroLED displays

Handruin

Administrator
I'm happy to see MicroLED panel types are pushing forward. I hope that in time microLED displays will fix the majority of issues we've had throughout the years with current display technologies. I realize it will still be a few years before this type of panel is affordable but it would be nice to have the contrast benefits of OLED without the burn-in problems, refresh limitations, and size constraints.

Samsung put on display their 146" MicroLED panel at CES which gives me hope that this kind of technology will continue to push forward.
https://www.techspot.com/news/72634-samsung-146-inch-microled-tv-wall.html

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
There is not much info about the microLED. Are the gamut, uniformity and stability up to par compared to the best LCD displays?

Stereodude

Not really a
There is not much info about the microLED. Are the gamut, uniformity and stability up to par compared to the best LCD displays?
Gamut, yes. Uniformity remains to be seen in consumer products. The prototypes look good though. Stability should be better than OLED since they're not organic. This is basically LED video wall tech on a tighter and tighter pixel pitch. Sony and others also have similar products. The Sony CLEDIS display last year at CES was breathtaking.

Stereodude

Not really a
Saw it today. It looks good. I'm not sure how it really differs from the Sony CLEDIS displays that have been shown before though supposedly the 146" Samsung will be a commercial product officially announced in a few months whereas CLEDIS is more of a "call us" custom product.

Handruin

Administrator
That's good to hear. I'm stoked to see this tech trickle down over time (hopefully).

Did you end up going to CES for personal or work? Do they let the general public in to this event?

Stereodude

Not really a
I used my work credentials to go for personal reasons. It's not open to the general public. They're supposedly screening attendees closer now. They want to see the company website and other details and have to approve registrations. I don't know how closely they're really checking. It used to be anyone with a business card could get in.