Mic/Audio troubleshooting

ddrueding

Fixture
I've tried with two separate, identical mics (Sennheiser AVX e835) each with their own receiver, two copies of the Behringer Xenyx 802, then wired into an Onkyo TX-NR646 and onto some speakers. Other sources play fine, but either mic only plays the lowest frequencies. I've made sure all the knobs on the mixer are centered and that the audio settings on the receiver are at default. Rebooted everything.

Help?

ddrueding

Fixture
The Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer board is serving as pre-amp. The mic receiver has a battery and doesn't require phantom power. The "Main Out" from the mixer is connecting via RCA to the Onkyo as "CD in".

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry, something I forgot to mention. This system worked for nearly a year before it failed in this way. It is, however, operated by randoms of unknown technical expertise.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Are the cables fully seated? Any way to break the system down further to isolate the fault? If I read right, both mics come together at the mixing board. Can you bypass the mixing board as a test? Should still be line level.

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually had a spare mixing board.

Problem identified-ish. Swapping the Onkyo receiver with a spare resolved the problem. This is hard to explain, as other inputs to the receiver played fine, and swapping the mixer to a different input didn't resolve the issue. I'll be picking up the old one on Monday to put it through its paces.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well the thing is that you weren't getting no sound at all, so somewhere along the line, something wasn't being amplified like it's supposed to.
I'm given to understand that contemporary Onkyo receivers have real problems with inputs just dying for no reason.