Memorex Announces 16X / Dual Layer DVD Drives

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The Memorex D2 (D squared). In the past, Memorex has OEMmed reputable manufacturers like Plextor and Lite-on.

Internal & External models.

Single layer (4.7 GB) DVD+R discs at speeds up to 16X
Double layer DVD+R discs at 2.4X
DVD-R discs at 8X
DVD+RW discs at 4X
DVD-RW discs at 4X

Buffer underrun
Bundled with Nero

Internal model on sale in early August at an estimated street price of $149.99.
Exernal model will be available by mid-August at an estimated street price of $229.99.

News Item here.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Hrmm. Why the slow dual-layer speed? Is that to be expected from dual-layer discs in general?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yup, all current dual layer discs are 2.4x

For data backup purposes, if you are going to be around it is much faster and cheaper to just use single layer discs at the present time.

LunarMist

Well, that dual-layer deal just blows. :(

Having been burned by numerous, expensive incremental CD writer upgrades from 2000-2002, I have been sitting on a 4x A06 since last August. Presumably 16x is nearing the practical rpm limits. Would September be a good time to buy a pair of the 16x burners and keep them for at least a year?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Probably not.
It takes for-frickin'-ever to burn a dual layer disk. I fully expect another speed bump in the near future.

LunarMist

Is there any speed increase beyond 16x expected for a standard DVD±R? I can pass on dual-layer drives until a higher density format arrives.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As I understand things, the spin rate of a 16x DVD is comparable to a 52x CD-ROM drive. Both approach the physical limitations of the media at the moment.

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net
16X for DVDs and 52x for CDs is the physical max.
I'm waiting for 16x DVDrs and prob 8x for DL before I plan on getting another burner. Currently have a POS 4x DVDR that only does 4x on +R and crapsp out on random -R.

Besides.... DL is like 8 GIGS!!! a disc....
so 2.4x is how slow?
and 4x is how little faster?
and 8x would be how much of an improvement?
and by the time 16x DL comes out....
BLU-Ray will ready for drooling over at ur local retail store.

Course, maybe I should jsut wait for a Blu-Ray w/12x DL burner...

mmm.... 30GB....
watching the olympics on HDTV 1080p on a Disc!....

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Given the reputation NBC has for only airing sports with spandex, I'm sure this Olympics will be a forgettable experience. Unless they show other sports on the cable channels?

SteveC

Storage is cool
Pradeep said:
Given the reputation NBC has for only airing sports with spandex, I'm sure this Olympics will be a forgettable experience. Unless they show other sports on the cable channels?

NBC's coverage of the Olympics is absolutely horrendous. They never show anything live, they don't show any of the lesser sports, and they spend far, far longer showing biographies of the athletes than actually showing the events. This year, the HDTV production is supposed to be completely separate from the regular broadcast, which should give me some hope, except for the fact that it'll be delayed 24 hours, and I hate watching sports event where I already know the outcome.