Maxtor Now "Shipping" A 250GB ATA HD

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
This must be the MaxLine II. It has been announced a while ago, but it wasn't available on the streets before today (if it is, haven't checked).

I think it's one of Maxtor's models with an advertised MTBF of 1 million hours.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Wow.

It's Serial ATA, right?

No way I'd buy a drive like that with an interface that's already obsolete.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
i said:
Wow.

It's Serial ATA, right?

No way I'd buy a drive like that with an interface that's already obsolete.
The announcement proclaims it is ATA/133 & includes an adapter card in the retail kit.

Really, until SATA becomes commonplace on mobos, standard ATA is the way to go. Maxtor needs to sell into an existing market; not a market that may exist sometime in the future.

The kicker is that you'd be trusting 250GB of data to a drive with a 1 year warranty.

- Fushigi

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Fushigi said:
The announcement proclaims it is ATA/133 & includes an adapter card in the retail kit.

Really, until SATA becomes commonplace on mobos, standard ATA is the way to go. Maxtor needs to sell into an existing market; not a market that may exist sometime in the future.

You're right. Plus I just remembered that Xmas is around the corner (huh, where I am? what year is it?) ... I imagine this will be on a few well-to-do Xmas lists. I'm sure Maxtor doesn't think SATA controllers are commonplace enough yet to risk minimizing that opportunity.

Then again, if you were going to buy one of these drives ... two hundred and fify gigabytes for four hundred US dollars ... wouldn't you shell out a bit more to get the next-gen controller?

me

What is this storage?
I can't help but wonder if they could've spurred adoption of the SATA standard if they'd released this drive as an SATA unit.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
me said:
I can't help but wonder if they could've spurred adoption of the SATA standard if they'd released this drive as an SATA unit.

I think that is all in the works as we speak. (Nice to see you again me.)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Fushigi said:
The kicker is that you'd be trusting 250GB of data to a drive with a 1 year warranty.
IIRC and if that drive really is the MaxLine II as I think it is, it carries a three years warranty.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
i said:
Fushigi said:

You're right. Plus I just remembered that Xmas is around the corner (huh, where I am? what year is it?) ... I imagine this will be on a few well-to-do Xmas lists. I'm sure Maxtor doesn't think SATA controllers are commonplace enough yet to risk minimizing that opportunity.

Then again, if you were going to buy one of these drives ... two hundred and fify gigabytes for four hundred US dollars ... wouldn't you shell out a bit more to get the next-gen controller?

Chances are about 50/50 that this drive will be available in a few months with a SATA interface. However, Maxtor may very well release only 7200 RPM drives with SATA interfaces for a while, phasing in SATA for the first time with 5400 RPM drives in the next generation 5400 RPM model line (i.e. -- the upcoming 320 GB / 5400 RPM line).

Believe it or not, this new 250 GB drive is probably an "old" design drive -- "old" meaning a drive design that was likely finalised just before Maxtor's SATA planning was completed, which could have been in the timeframe of December 2001 or so. The 5400 RPM model line that has the 320 GB drive as its King (320, 160, 80) is scheduled to start "shipping" in February/March 2003.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Speaking as someone who just lost a 120GB drive (WD1200AB) five months after I bought it, I'm going on record as saying drives with one year warranties aren't worth a bucket of warm spit.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

For those counting, I've had three WD drives fail since January (600AB, 800BB and 1200AB... and that's out of about 20 purchased since January) and one Fireball AS. One of my 75GB 75GXPs started making noises a week or so ago, too, and I'm pretty much expecting it to not live out the year.

I'm starting to think that the reason for 1 year warranties is a very real reduction in reliability from the extra-huge capacities that modern drives have achieved.

Explorer

Well, I've had exactly ZERO Seagate Barracuda IV drives fail on me; 40GB, 60GB, and 80GB models.

It's like, yo, there's no friction or heat (stressors) in these drives!

Mercutio

... and I've had zero returns on any Maxtor drive I've purchased, ever. Given that Seagate is entirely in the 1-year warranty camp, I'm at a loss to find a reason to purchase Seagate ATA drives.

The WD *AB drives are very cool and quiet. I don't know about friction, obviously. They are ball-bearing drives. WD800BBs are loud and noisy. I don't think I'd buy another of those.

Mercutio

Er, that should be "warm and noisy". Not "loud and noisy". My mistake (and now you see how I got to 1800ish posts...)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Explorer said:
This isn't quite true. Fluid bearings are supposed to produce more heat than regular bearings. Why? Don't remember. The Barracuda ATA IV confirms this in a way, as it gets hotter than most other same-generation 7200rpm ATA drives.

I'm not saying that it is an unreliable drive by the way. I haven't heard anything particularly bad about its reliability. I'm just saying that fluid bearings, while great for noise levels, aren't necessarily a failure-free guaranty (or whatever way this word is supposed to be written).

.Nut

CougTek said:
Explorer said:
This isn't quite true. Fluid bearings are supposed to produce more heat than regular bearings. Why? Don't remember. The Barracuda ATA IV confirms this in a way, as it gets hotter than most other same-generation 7200rpm ATA drives.
Maybe I went a bit overboard on the flowery descriptions, but fluid dynamic bearings have gotten better about the stiff oil inside (dynamic = high pressure oil) them, which requires a stronger motor to push the spindle up to speed. By design, fluid bearings have no metal-to-metal contact on the moving surfaces, which can cause read/write problems with high-frequency vibrations being generated by ball bearings and also offer superior resistance to external vibrations. Therefore, fluid dynamic bearings offer a significantly longer service life than bearings that use balls rolling around in a bearing raceway. So, what you give up in the form of some increase in heat from a larger motor, you *very* significantly gain back in reliability.

By the way, I have no problem with touching the top of my 60 GB Barracuda IV after a few hours of it running it normally. It is only "warm." Maybe the thin acoustic foam sandwich around the drive insulates it a lot more than it seems and around the motor area it is "hotter."