low-end laser printers these days?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Law and schools require LOTS of paper. Living with an attorney means you really do need an excellent, high quality printer for home use.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie

Stereodude

Not really a
I guess I waited too long on the HL-5370DW. It's not $179.99 at Newegg & Amazon anymore. :cursin:

Time to wait for the price to drop. :idea:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So it is $200. If a few bucks makes a difference in your life then printers are not your primary problem. ;)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Either way, one drum and cartridge will probably last a sizable fraction of a decade for most people's personal printing needs.
I've never managed to exhaust a "starter" toner cartridge. I've always decided (independently) to replace the printer before the end.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, I'd rather not throw $20 away. I don't need it today and it routinely goes on sale for $180, so I'll wait.
So, I waited 6 days and voila! $179.98 after it went up to $229.99 for a few days.

amazonnewused.png

Stereodude

Not really a
Well the printer arrived on Tuesday and I got it out of the box today and set up and printing. I do need to get a ream of laser printer paper though.

I have it connected to my network via CAT5e, and it works.

Sol

Storage is cool
I think the confusion was that you specified "laser" printer paper, as though maybe you had several reams of ink-jet paper sitting in your back room, but that just wasn't going to work in this new printer because it's a laser...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
True and yet ... Photocopiers will usually eat almost anything, but laser printers may get indigestion with really cheap paper. I imagine it's a function of price, i.e. photocopiers tend to cost a lot more than equivalent single-function laser printers.

Also, I wouldn't be comfortable feeding inkjet glossy photo paper through a laser printer, although the other day my daughter achieved surprisingly good results with Epson Matte Heavy Weight - unintentionally.

ddrueding

Fixture
A friend destroyed his very expensive color laser the other day by feeding glossy photo paper into it; the wax layer melted all over a bunch of rollers.

LunarMist

:scratch: Well, as least I know it's not just me.

Maybe on the left coast laser printers print on hopes and dreams, but where I am they need paper in the tray.

Southeast needs paper too. Or do you call that right-down coast? :idea:

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
A friend destroyed his very expensive color laser the other day by feeding glossy photo paper into it; the wax layer melted all over a bunch of rollers.
OUCH

Though it would seem that a roller kit + fuser (maintance kit) might deal with that issue.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Yuck! A while back (1997-8?) my boss' daughter did the same to our color Okidata. Only one sheet and I was able to rescue the printer by printing about 500 blank pages via the straight paper path. Smelled awful for about a week.

LunarMist

Eeewwww. I hope he did not get a severe reprimand for not following the vendors instructions.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It was cheaper for me to buy a brand new Samsung color laser printer today than it was to get the four toner cartridges my HP1600 needs.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't like the precedent, really. But it's not like I print all that much, either. A ($45) 1500 sheet cartridge will probably last me a few years. At which time it will probably be cheaper to buy yet another printer.
In contrast, HP wants $80 for a new, 2500 sheet black toner cartridge.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I wonder if the refiller market has starter sized toners. It took me a few years to use up the starter size as well.