Lots of Snow

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I thought that Jonestown disaster was in the 1970s. I suppose history is repetitious.

ddrueding

Fixture
Winds were gusting to 72MPH (115km/h) earlier today, we've taken about 8" (20cm) of rain, flooding and trees down everywhere. House has been without power for 12 hours already. I don't want to go home from the office (yay generators and T-1 SLAs), but can't leave the wife and kid alone in a dark house. Probably won't be back on for a day or so.

LunarMist

Winds were gusting to 72MPH (115km/h) earlier today, we've taken about 8" (20cm) of rain, flooding and trees down everywhere. House has been without power for 12 hours already. I don't want to go home from the office (yay generators and T-1 SLAs), but can't leave the wife and kid alone in a dark house. Probably won't be back on for a day or so.

Malibu is a mess. Too much rain this year. It reminds me of 1980 or thereabouts when the roads were over flowing and my car was somewhat flooded.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Bring the wife and the kid at the office. Of course you won't see this post before everything is back to normal.

ddrueding

Fixture
Wife and kid are off to the Aquarium and museums for the day. I am back in my office keeping an eye on things and making sure the generator is behaving itself. I was just out at the country club, they seem to have lost about 10% of their trees (50? can't get out to most of it). Once the wind dies down I'll break out the drone and see what happened.

LunarMist

ah HA! Now we know where you are. Sending the troops to get you!

The rain is just crazy everywhere. Roads are closed, power outages, etc. At least Monday is a holiday, but more precipitation is on the way.
I have to travel in three states next week,

LunarMist

18-24" of snow forecast thru tomorrow night, Thruway closed to tractor trailers. Hello Stella.

I'm not sure if the Philadephia, Newark and JFK contingents can make it to Florida on Wednesday.
I don't want to be MIA by myself. :(

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Just shoveled. This snow is very heavy, which is typical of March snow. 8 inches of it weighs as much as 2 feet of mid-winter snow.

LunarMist

Just shoveled. This snow is very heavy, which is typical of March snow. 8 inches of it weighs as much as 2 feet of mid-winter snow.

Damn. I though they all had machines for that in the Northeast. You don't want to have a heart attack.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Damn. I though they all had machines for that in the Northeast. You don't want to have a heart attack.
Sanitation plows the streets but you're responsible for shoveling the sidewalk adjacent to your property. Thankfully we don't have a corner house which would be about 120 or 140 feet of sidewalk. Just 40 feet to shovel plus the steps and walkway. I'll let the snow in the driveway melt on its own.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm happy that I shoveled yesterday evening. This morning it was all frozen solid like icebergs. For the few small pieces pushed back into the driveway I needed to use my steel shovel to chisel them away. I felt bad for the neighbor across the street from me. He had a mound of snow left from the plows and his was all frozen solid like mine.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
We've been lucky so far, the neighbour down the street plowed our driveway a couple of times with his truck so no buildup at the road, just stepped out for the first time since Monday to clear snow around the furnace/hot water heater vents. There was about 3 feet of drifts and 1 foot of space left below the vents so I'm glad I didn't hold off any longer. Will definitely need 4wd to get up the driveway tomorrow, thick layer of ice under the snow there.

forstory

What is this storage?
How's the weather where you are right now? Don't want to create a new thread simply to ask but I'm still pretty curious. Lately my weather has been pretty erratic, coming from Southeast Asia - its supposed to be summer all year round with humidity never really allowing you to wear anything more than a t-shirt out or you'd be labeled as having issues. Today's the wind is pretty crazy and the weather feels cool enough to actually be in a sweater.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Snow season has arrived in upstate NY. Getting the Hakka 9 SUV studded tires mounted back on wife's SUV for their second season. For the GS I think it's safest to go with the Hakka 9 studded, in 235/45 R18. Also considered the General Arctic studded.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm likely going to swap my tires tonight for upcoming storms and I need new winter tires. This is my 5th season on them and the tread is getting a bit low for adequate snow traction. I'm still reading reviews to decide if I want to go with the Hakka R3s in non-studded 255/35R19 vs the Michelin Alpin PA4 vs the Blizzak LM32 (which I currently have) vs some other non-studded or Winter Sport tire.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I had good luck with WS series Blizzaks in the past, especially in snow, but with only the first 60% of the compound bring the special multitube ice compound, performance drops off rapidly to a standard winter tire after that has worn away.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Was looking at the tire rack reviews for the lm32 and frankly seemed pretty disappointing to many (significantly less ice performance than the ws series). I would take the Hakka R3 over that, as the Hakkas will deliver continued grip over many seasons. Blizzaks tend to be amazing in their first season but rapidly fade away.

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't think the reviews looked that bad on tirerack. Given that I bought my set in October of 2014 there wasn't a ton of reviews at the time. I would given them an off the cuff 3.8 out of 5 overall. They are after all a winter sport tire and not a true non-studded snow like the Hakka R3 or a Blizzak WS series. I would expect those to be superior in deep snow and ice but have a mushier feel to them and possibly more road noise.

I do agree with you that the traction on my Blizzaks was best for the first year and tapered off quickly as I put miles on them. In terms of responsiveness and handling they're fairly good for a snow tire. Others suggest they are glorified all seasons with the triple peak rating which I agree with somewhat. They are definitely better in snow than any other so season I've owned in the past.

My lm32s are on now so I have a little more time to figure out what I want to but next. I don't know if I get enough snow in area to warrant getting the Rest but I'll think about it some more.

LunarMist

Reading all the TireRack reviews practically made me crazy a few years ago, and that was for normal car tires. Everybody complains about everything and states that the tires are bad.
Even with the best tires some idiot will drive maniacally on the slippery roads, hit you at an angle, crush the body and bend your frame, causing exploding airbags, etc. Then you are totaled and black and blue the next day. :(

Stereodude

Not really a
I put the Pilot Alpine 4's on the S4 today. I skipped them last year and just used the Conti DWS's. I thought the DWS's were noticeably inferior from how I remembered the car driving on the PA4's. We'll see if the PA4's live up to what I remember from 2 winters ago.

LunarMist

In December I must travel in a in a rental car NJ and NY, and see Pennsylvanians. I doubt that it will have any tires.
If I lived in the frozen North, I'd have some kind of ice and snow vehicle for winter use.

LunarMist

I assume they just have whatever the manufacturer specifies for the vehicle, like some cheap general purpose Korean tire.
The treads depend on the age and some rentals are newer than others. I won't accept a vehicle without checking all four tires, but choices are often limited.