looking for server case suggestions.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm looking for a "server" case that can handle at least 12 3.5" HDs (within 18" of the mobo) and say 2 5.25" optical drives and 1 floppy. >12 3.5" HDs would be even better. It needs to be able to accomodate an ATX mobo. Spaces for fans (preferably 80mm) blowing across the HDs is also needed.

I'd rather not spend a ton of money, but I'm willing to pay what's needed to get a decent case. I don't need redundant power supplies or anything like that, and I already have a 600W unit that's getting the job done now, so the case can without a powersupply.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Handruin

Administrator
What about something like this:

1.) Buy 2 Enlight EN-8721 5 drive hot swap bays (holds 10 HD's).
2.) Put them into a Coolermaster stacker and then mount the remaining 2+ HD's into the other case locations.

The Enlight bays consume 3x 5 1/4 bays each leaving you with 1 more for an optical and room for a floppy. That still leaves you one optical short, but maybe it'll fit in one of the other bays?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I searched, but couldn't find anything with that many internal drive bays. The Lian-Li case looks nice.

You should buy it and then let the rest of us know if it is nice.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I suggested that case to LunarMist a month or so ago. I've never seen a *bad* Lian Li case, but then, I've never wanted to pay for one, either.

Have you looked at what SuperMicro has to offer? Something like an SC742 with an extra 5-in-3 bay?

Mercutio

I don't like Windows 98. Or Windows XP. Or Windows on computer cases.

But I wish my office had a Window or two. Does that count?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My old cubicle had views of two windows. It was too bright. My new cubicle is like a cave, much better.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
All the cubes and offices here that have a window in them, have a peice of cardboard over them. Too much glare for computer uses.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

The place where I work is on this absolutely beautiful, natural forest campus with a southern exposure. It's fall and it's really pretty outside, but except at lunch time, or unless I go hang out in someone else's office, I don't get to see it. It's not uncommon for me to find out that there've been thunderstorms, heavy snow or tornado warnings that I was completely unaware of, when I leave for the night.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Nobody will believe me but...

I work in a small office area that was sectioned out of an active underground parking garage. There are still stripes on the floor in some places. The ground shakes a lot when even a moderately laden truck drives above or onto our level. And once in a while I swear carbon monoxide starts seeping in. And sometimes in the winter the heating unit fails.

But no leaks so far, so that's a plus. :lol: :-?

Mercutio

My first-ever programming job was done in a tiny, underventilated, uninsulated office above a heavy equipment garage. Carbon Monoxide and diesel fumes usually had me completely loopy by about 10:00AM.

So I know of what you speak, i.

Stereodude

Not really a
Mercutio said:
I suggested that case to LunarMist a month or so ago. I've never seen a *bad* Lian Li case, but then, I've never wanted to pay for one, either.

Have you looked at what SuperMicro has to offer? Something like an SC742 with an extra 5-in-3 bay?
I've never wanted to pay for a Lian Li case either, but it looks like I might get to. It is cheaper than the solution Handruin came up with.

I just looked at a few Supermicro cases and it doesn't look like what they have will work as well as the Lian Li or the "lovely" Thermaltake.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
I would consider having a 1U server with a pair of external 8-bay drive housings -- with 5 drives populating each 8-bay SAS / SCSI drive housing.

The server and each drive housing would then have its own power supply for a lot higher level of dependability as far as current draw goes, and would also be rack-mountable.

Stereodude

Not really a
GIANT said:
I would consider having a 1U server with a pair of external 8-bay drive housings -- with 5 drives populating each 8-bay SAS / SCSI drive housing.

The server and each drive housing would then have its own power supply for a lot higher level of dependability as far as current draw goes, and would also be rack-mountable.
And then I couldn't use any of my existing hardware, and considering I don't have a rack to mount this stuff in, it's not exactly practical.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
Stereodude said:
And then I couldn't use any of my existing hardware, and considering I don't have a rack to mount this stuff in, it's not exactly practical.

Rack-mountable hardware generally works fine laying on a shelf until it's time to go into a rack -- if you looking to use an equipment rack in the future. If not, you can get pedestal-based drive bays. Some of the recent vintage pedestal drive bays can be converted to rack-mount.

By the way, it's possible to get used 19-inch equipment very inexpensively if you run across the right deal (i.e. -- liquidations of professional video or computer hardware). A short rack with casters is a very efficient way to go with server hardware. A UPS unit (and if necessary, an external battery for additional run-time) can go in the bottom with the lighter hardware above. A shelf about waist-high or chest-high can be home to a conventional monitor as well as a mouse and a svelte keyboard.

Mercutio

As hard as it is to properly cool, or to find expansion cards, why the hell are you recommending 1U chassis anyway, Gary?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I could never understand the reasoning behind putting a power supply on the bottom of the case. Heat rises. So any heat generated by the power supply goes into the componates above it. When mounted at the top of the case, at least some of the case heat is drawn out by the PS fan.
Maybe it has something to do with the weight??? :-?

Bozo :mrgrn:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Just an idea: Maybe a PSU at the bottom will fare better since it doesn't need to exhaust all of the heat from the case plus its own?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
We have one of these at work (15 hot swap SATA bays):

SC933T_spec.jpg

http://supermicro.com/products/chassis/3U/933/SC933T-R760.cfm

Only downsides are cost ~$800
And insane noise. Sure keeps the drives cool though.