Linux home folder and ZFS

Adcadet

Storage Freak
So, I managed to move my home folder over to a ZFS pool since my boot disk (SSD) was running low on space. Not too hard, just used the zfs mountpoint command and replaced /home with a zpool. Except it looks like what was in my prior home folder is still using disk space on the SSD. Does anybody know a way to get that space back short of not starting up ZFS at boot?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
What timwhit asks...

But you should be able to start in single user mode (see you distro's docs on doing this), umount the zfs /home, thus you should be right to access the old /home folder (if it's part of the root filesystem). Since you're logged in as "root" you don't need access to the /home directory... Then simply delete the contents of /home... (Have you enabled TRIM support)?

If /home was it's own partition, then recheck for entries in /etc/fstab that reference the old filesystem, remove the old ones and reformat the old partition and remount as needed. (FYI you can resize ext4 filesystems to take up unused space if needed).

Adcadet

Storage Freak
No, /home was not it's own partition before.
TRIM support is on. I realized that I could boot a different Linux distro off of a different drive, access /home and delete the redundant contents. Booted back to the original distro, and all is well.