LinNeighborhood

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I just installed this application on my Mandrake box. It acts like Windows Network Neighborhood. Up to this point, I was able to see and access my Linux machines via Windows, but not vice-versa. Now, LinNeighborhood lets me access my Windows boxes from my Linux boxes. Pretty cool! You can get it here.

On another note, I have got to say that I am very pleased with my Linux setup. A couple of weeks ago, Cliptin and I were discussing Linux, and I made the statement that I didn't think I could fully convert to using a Linux system. When he asked me why, I had to really think about it for a minute. My answer? Every answer I gave boiled down to one thing: finding the equivalent applications to do the same things I can do in Windows. I decided to make it a point to use my Linux machine at least 80% of the time for my common computing needs, and I found that, after making a committment, I actually could convert to Linux--in fact, I actually like it better. I have much more control over what my machine is doing and how applications look and behave. The only thing I can really think of off hand that I can't do is run some of my games. But with Wine, even some of that is possible.

The moral? I found that by giving Linux a fair shake and seeking out comparable applications that I could live in a non-Microsoft world. I wonder how many others are coming to this revelation, and what impact it will have long-term?

honold

Storage is cool
i started using linux in 1994, and i wouldn't be caught dead using it (or any unix-like os) as a desktop

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I found that using nautilus and typing smb://servername/share worked well.. if you need to add a user/pass I assume it can be done like this smb://user:pass@server/share (where server can be a hostname or IP)

I might try the linNeighborhood when I get my graphics card back... right now im running in console only mode :-( But I setup SSH and I still have webmin, so all is good.