Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Access Point/router/switch $109.00

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Access Point + Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port 10/100 Switch for $109 at Amazon.com.

Link

Cheaper than anyone on pricewatch, plus it comes from a reputable dealer.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I note that absolutely none of the multi-band or A stuff is on sale. Too bad.

As an aside, the Linksys routers have some features that Dlink doesn't, like support for DHCP client reservations and firmware ZoneAlarm. I'm still not a big advocate of the home router thing, but when I use them I'd much rather have the ability to do client reservations n' stuff.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Mercutio said:

As an aside, the Linksys routers have some features that Dlink doesn't, like support for DHCP client reservations and firmware ZoneAlarm. I'm still not a big advocate of the home router thing, but when I use them I'd much rather have the ability to do client reservations n' stuff.

what do you mean by the term clietn reservations? i believe I have that feature in my D-Link 704

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
blakerwry said:
Mercutio said:

what do you mean by the term clietn reservations? i believe I have that feature in my D-Link 704

It's assigning an IP to a device without assigning it in the device. Basically You can enter the MAC of your NIC to the DHCP server reservations table, thus reserving particular IP for the computer that has the NIC. This way You can setup the IP addresses from the server (if there is need for some computers to have the same IP always), and not going for all the machines to change addresses if You ever need to do it.

Cheers,

Jan

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Weird. The new and otherwise decent 624 (G router/AP) doesn't do it, and I can remember it not being there on at least one model of B router/AP as well.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The 704 was made to compete with the linksys 4 port when the home routers just started getting popular. The 704 was about 20% cheaper and miles ahead of the linksys in terms of stability and working features.

I think the 704 was too well built for D-Link, they wanted something cheaper, and thus you have what we have now.