Linksys NAS Device is really slow...

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a Linksys NSLU2 USB->NAS device and it blows. I have a WD2500JB in a USB 2.0 enclosure and the best this thing can do is 500kb/s.

Any reccomendations for a similar product at a reasonable price? I need support for at least 2 drives (4 preferred). If it supports SATA drives internally rather than using a USB bridge that would be a plus. GbE would also be nice.

You'd think in a system such as this, you could at least count on the Hard Drive being the bottleneck...oh, well.

Thanks.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
ddrueding said:
I have a Linksys NSLU2 USB->NAS device and it blows. I have a WD2500JB in a USB 2.0 enclosure and the best this thing can do is 500kb/s.
Any other USB 2.0 drives (=enclosures) you could try? That sounds like Linksys doesn't like your USB 2.0 enclosure and drops the connection to USB 1.1.

Firmware update could also help.

Or, it just is a dud... :mrgrn:

Cheers,

Jan

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't have any other USB drives to try, but I do need to buy another one anyway (IF the next NAS device I get uses USB as well). I might end up going in that direction...

Latest Firmware (Jan 15, 2005) is in place.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just in case my math is off, I've been copying a bunch of 2GB files to the drive and they are taking 1 hour and 10 minutes each.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
That's to bad, that looked like a neat product... you could always go for a stand alone samba or windows server... I'm not sure if you really are going to have a good time connecting USB drives to it though.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nah, my system is on all the time. If this product or something else cheap doesn't work, I'll likely just buy longer USB cables and connect the drives directly to my machine and share them from there. Nah, screw it...I'll build a new machine. New thread forthcoming...

ddrueding

Fixture
Looks cool, but I specifically don't want another computer. I really like the simplicity of having some storage on the network (don't need permissions of any kind) that consumes little power beyond the drives themselves.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks Bozo. Looks a bit out of my price range, but I like the concept. I really had a good chuckle at the name of that company. :)

I can just see it now..."so Doug, where did you buy that nifty NAS solution?" "Oh, I got it from Assmann".

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
Jan Kivar said:
ddrueding said:
Any other USB 2.0 drives (=enclosures) you could try? That sounds like Linksys doesn't like your USB 2.0 enclosure and drops the connection to USB 1.1.

Remember that USB 2.0 "Full Speed" is only 12Mb/s -- which is what USB version 1.1 provides at it's fastest rate.

USB 2.0 "High Speed" is a, er... full 480 Mb/s!