Lightweight Anti-virus for Windows on Business Network

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Symantec Antivirus' Realtime Virus Scan is making two PCs in my office unusably slow. Both PCs run Windows XP and have 256MB of RAM. Does anyone have any recommendations for a lightweight alternative that will run well on these computers? Email scanning is obviously a must in this type of environment.

1. NOD32. Now I've seen several recommendations for NOD32 in the past (many other threads too), and people have specifically mentioned they like it because it's easy on system resources.

2. PC-Cillin. I assume I should avoid PC-Cillin.

3. Avira. I've seen Avira get high marks on AV Comparitives.org tests, but I have no idea how it is on system resources. Avira has slightly better pro-active results than NOD32, but it also had many false positives while NOD32 had few.

4. AVG Free. I can't use AVG Free because it's a business environment.

Would most of you still recommend NOD32 now that it's a year or two later? Anyone have experience with Avira? It seems to be the other front-runner.

I'm also going to run a spyware/crapware scan on both PCs just in case, but the RTVscan.exe process was the only thing using CPU at the time and it was endlessly thrashing the disk. I can't do that until after work though because the person needs to try and use their computer during the day; I'm not very suspicious. Besides I understand that most Windows malware, these days, is designed to perform much better than Symantec Security so as not to interfere with the user's experience and tip them off to it's presence...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I would suggest upping the memory to at least 1GB. 256 is marginal for XP to start with.

Bozo :joker:

paugie

Storage is cool
Coug posted a link to a test (didn't read it) and mentioned Avast scored well in that test. I tried Avast and ditched AVG for it. Have been using it since. Caught some viruses in some friends' machines. Has kept my system trouble free. Real time may be cutting into my resources, but I'm not complaining.

Have been using the free edition.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
AVG (not-free) is still not a bad choice, if lightweight is part of your requirement. I know of businesses that use it, and it really doesn't have the impact that Symantec or Kapersky have on a computer.

NOD32 is probably the best choice, though, given the cost (same as AVG) and overall effect on performance.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I agree about the RAM Bozo, but they're replacing the machine in 6-8 months anyway. Maybe I can dig up a random stick somewhere though.

It's an Intel 1.5Ghz P4; haven't had a chance to figure out what mobo. Might be RDRAM though...

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Somebody did a recent review of Anti-viruses with a focus on use of system resources. I can't remember who though. But I do know NOD32 was very high in the list (higher means less system resources). It was not the highest though and I was surprised about that.

So I'd still recommend NOD32.

Handruin

Administrator
I still recommend NOD32 when looking for a paid product. On systems I build for those who can't pay for AV, I put the free AVG.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Norman Virus Control is good on resources, reasonably priced, and very effective. Also, it doesn't drive you spare with pop-up crap. Make sure you get plain vanilla Norman Virus Control, not one of their varous more expensive bloatware variations.

AVG Free is even lighter on system resources, though a little more in your face. (Not too much.) Still very good though; it's my second favourite anti-virus product.