Life Imitates Art (or vice versa)

Platform

Learning Storage Performance

Looks like someone turned one of my corny jokes that I posted here in 2003 and 2004 (concerning an artificial intelligence project called "R.A.N.D.Y.") and actually made something out of it called "George."

But, they say they've been working on it since 1999. So, I guess they didn't exactly filch my tale of a forum that was a world onto itself -- more or less the result of artificial intelligence gone awry -- where the three forum members that were *real* people interacted with several dozen forum members they presumed to be real people.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/15092006/323/chatbot-king-george-looks-human-friends-internet.html

THE FOLLOWING IS A MESSAGE FROM THE ADMINISTRATOR:

I have a very important announcement to make concerning the mission and purpose of Storage Forum.

I know we have all had a lot of fun over the past few years here at Storage Forum, and I hope that each and every one of you will continue to visit regularly. The forums have been running great and I only anticipate continued smooth sailing ahead for the remainder of 2004.

Me and 24 other graduate students here at the University have written what is likely the most sophisticated artificial intelligence program in the world. This AI program is called "RANDY." I can't tell you what the acronym R.A.N.D.Y. stands for, because if I did, I would be required by law to kill you. Anyway, Storage Forum is essentially a testbed for RANDY to use at its will.

Storage Forum is the primary vehicle for RANDY to communicate with the real world. RANDY has created many of the seemingly real personalities here in Storage Forum -- personalities that often post with spelling errors, poor grammar, ambiguous thought, mischievous intentions, and bad advice -- all in an effort to attract real-world forum members for study.

The Internet has grown at an amazing pace since Al Gore invented it back in 1992. Seemingly, at just around every bend of coax and fibre on the Internet is yet another flourishing self-perpetuating microcosm of intelligence, or as far as that goes, a multitude of expanding black holes that one can get sucked into.

Nonetheless, I am still quite amazed at just how the 3 of you real-world people managed to stumble across this Storage Forum website experiment. I truly hope all 3 of you will stay and not be offended by RANDY's occasional antics in its attempt to study humanity.

,Sincerely Administrator