Let's dance...

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
chicken.gif

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Flagreen, your avatars crack me up. Even the speeding smiley face made me laugh.

I think I need to get out more.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thanks! There is another picture in the lead post above but it's a .gif and is very slow loading here for some reason.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
How do you like the new avatar? Swings don't it? Particularly when viewed in the tread above with my funky chicken. You've got to admit I definitely add class to the joint fella's. :aok:

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Tea said:
Steve, you should eat more. You're looking positively skeletal.

You know Tea, that is the funniest damn thing anyone has said to me in a long time. Why? The irony. On January 1st I started a New Year's resolution to lose weight. Right before the UAL layoff, the missus and I had purchased an elliptical exercise machine. That, combined with eating smarter, (no starving myself, that's for sure) has done wonders for me. I weighed 232lbs on Jan 1st; 222 on Jan 13; 212 on Jan 26; 202 on Feb 14; 192 on Mar 7: 182 on Mar 20; and have stabilized at 180 currently. Being laid off has been a big advantage in this respect, lots of time to spend exercising. I was doing 90 minutes on that machine every day up until about 3 weeks ago. Now I'm doing 60 minutes a day about 4 times a week. :D

Exercising sure doesn't have any effect on ugliness though. I am still working on a way to get rid of those glowing red eyes.

--Steve

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ohh, I know about ugliness, Steve. I have to look at Tannin every morning in the mirror. Mostly I just close my eyes.

So, that's the old non-slimline you in Flagreen's avatar, then?

Let me see, I have to translate.

I guess, being so much younger than most of you I should think in kilograms. Alas, being a figment of Tannin's imagination, I only inherited the things that he knew - you wouldn't believe how much of Tannin's leftover junk I've had to clean out of my head before I could start thinking straight.

Still, I suppose we all have our difficulties in childhood. Look at Flagreen, he's over 50 and he's still not past the seventh grade.

Anyway 232lbs is ... er ... 16 stone 8. Wow! I'm about 7 stone 5, and even fat old Tannin is no more than 11 and a bit. (In his teens and twenties he was nine and a half stone - 140-odd pounds - but the middle-aged spread has caught up with him.)

But 180lbs, that's ... er ... 12 stone 4, which means you've lost over four stone! That's a fantastic effort. You must feel really pleased with yourself.

Now, if I could just get Tannin to give up smoking ...

(But I like smoking.)

(I know you do, which is why I try not to complain too much, but you're teaching me bad habits.)

Steve, I thought the UAL layoff was all finished with. I remember seeing an article on it some time ago, and I noticed that you weren't posting as much as usual and assumed that it was because you were back in harness. I meant to write to you at the time, and as with so many of my good intentions, didn't ever get around to it. So I take it that only a few of the workers were put back on. The usual scummy capitalist stuff.

On the other hand, with 4 1/2 stone off and undoubtedly a massive heart-lung improvement from all that excercise, being laid off probably just added ten years to your life. On balance, that sounds like a good deal to me.

For the red eyes, I recomend that you have a chat to our friendly bartender. He can fix you up with any number of cures.

(But that's alcohol, Tea. It makes your eyes get more red.)

(Yeah. But after the third one I stop caring.)

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Still, I suppose we all have our difficulties in childhood. Look at Flagreen, he's over 50 and he's still not past the seventh grade.
I'm telling my Mom you said that. Boy are you going to get it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Bill,

Did you take a picture of you for your avatar? I mean, you are a 50 years old seller and the guy in the picture looks like a 50 years old seller. I wonder...

Steve,

Great effort to lose that much weight. However, you lost it way too quickly. What you did was to lower your body metabolisism. This means that from now on, if you eat as much as you ate when you where 232lbs, you are going to gain weight instead of just maintaining it. Don't stop the exerciser, you'll need it and you'll probably need to keep that beat for the rest of your life, unless you don't care about gaining weight again.

If you only do exercice for short periods of time (a few months) and then stop and then restart because you'd have gain too many pounds to make you happy, you'll play the yoyo with the scale. Being a yoyo is worst than being just plain fat for your health BTW.

I congratulate you, but be aware that it's not a temporary resolution (doing more exercice and also, hopefully, eating better), it's a life resolution.

For my part, I'm still trying to do the reverse : gaining weight. But gaining additional pounds of muscle (without chemical mixture of concentrated proteins or steroids) is a whole lot more difficult than gaining additional pounds of fat. I know a lot of people found it's easier to gain weight with fat at first and then convert it to muscle, but I just can't make my mind to accept being fat even for a short period.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Bill,

Did you take a picture of you for your avatar? I mean, you are a 50 years old seller and the guy in the picture looks like a 50 years old seller. I wonder...
That's me alright. Getting pumped up for another big sale.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Chris Farley? Is that what that is?

What is it that you sell, anyway?

Weight loss: Hm. I need that, too. By Tannin's standards I'm clearly enormous.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mercutio said:
Chris Farley? Is that what that is?

What is it that you sell, anyway?

Weight loss: Hm. I need that, too. By Tannin's standards I'm clearly enormous.
Yes it's Chris Farley. I had the image larger but reduced it to be able to upload onto the SF server. I sell Industrial Pumps, pretty boring stuff.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Weight! Don't even talk about being over-weight. That fat git, Buck, should lose a few too.

Tannin is complaining about the effects of alcohol, and yet he smokes? Tea, don't listen to him. Skip the smokes and have a glass of wine.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Hm. At least I carry it well.

Personally I think y'all should skip the smokes and the wine.

But I hear Heroin is helpful for weight-loss. :p

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Man I love the expression on that chickens face after dancing like that for a few days.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
Hm. At least I carry it well.

Personally I think y'all should skip the smokes and the wine.

Mercutio, you always come shining through, with a healthy dose of reality! :mrgrn:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:

If you really want to lose weight quick, you need coke. Supresses appetite and you can stay up for days at a time. You've heard the express strung out on coke, right? Speed has similar effects. Neither is reccomended, unless you have a death wish.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Bartender said:
Weight! Don't even talk about being over-weight. That fat git, Buck, should lose a few too.

Tannin is complaining about the effects of alcohol, and yet he smokes? Tea, don't listen to him. Skip the smokes and have a glass of wine.

A daily glass or two of red wine could well improve your health, with smokes that's rather doubtful.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Tony,
No, UAL has still not called any laid off mechanics back to work. As of now we are getting by on my wife's income and my unemployment checks. It has still been enough to throw a couple upgrades at the computer here and there, but for the most part we are on a shoestring budget. The reason my posting has dropped off is because I discontinued our DSL line, which was $49/month and went back on narrow band. Being online now is a painful experience since I was accustomed to 640K download speeds. :cry: I have found, however, that using the Opera browser with images turned off is still pretty fast.

CougTek,
I don't feel I lost that weight too fast. As I mentioned there was no starving and there was no skimping on nutritional intake. The main thing I overcame was overeating. During the time I was doing 90 minute runs I was also having 50-gram protein shakes right after to feed the muscles that were getting so much use. I have always had a slow metabolism but now it seems to have increased. Mixing runs on the machine in a few times a week has kept me right where I want to be. I am back to eating normal (albeit healthy) meals and am not putting the weight back on. I agree that if I quit exercising altogether and went back to heavy fast-food meals all the time that I'd surely pack it back on.

--Steve