Least Expensive NAS Devices (?)

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
I was recently wondering what the competitive marketplace has brought us in recent times -- as far as "affordable" Network Attached Storage goes. Buffalo Technology currently seems to have the lowest priced NAS devices worth considering.

Buffalo Technology offers both a basic model called the Linkstation (basic, as in a single drive mechanism model) and a more sophisticated model called the Terastation (sophisticated, as in storage via RAID).

I suspect both of these NAS models are based on an embedded Linux kernel and SAMBA 2.X to provide the higher levels of networking functionality. They mention "NT 4.0 domains" in their literature, which likely translates to NTLM authentication, which I'd guess is provided by SAMBA 2.X (though it could be SAMBA 3.X).

TeraStation-large.jpg

Features:
Solid Business Storage Solutions
• Four operating modes for configuring internal drives allow either data access in a massive volume or in fault tolerant RAID arrays
• Journaling File System to prevent loss of data during writing in the event of a power loss
• Robust user and group level permissions for securing network data shares
Gigabit Ethernet with Jumbo Frame support ensures speedy delivery of large office files or multiple multimedia streams
• UPS compatibility to allow automatic or manual shutdowns safely when power is interrupted
• Domain support to allow import of your current Groups and Users (Windows NT4 domains only)

Powerful USB Expandability
• Four USB ports offer countless scenarios for attaching USB devices
• External USB hard drives expand available network storage as needed cost effectively
• Built-in print server for sharing and managing a USB printer on the network

Simple Install and Management
• Easy setup wizard allows deployment of a Terabyte of network data in literally minutes without advanced networking skills
• Powerful backup utility allows easy setup and management of backups to or from the TeraStation when multiple TeraStations are located on the network
• Management via an intuitive, fully featured web interface from Windows, Apple or Linux
• Mail notification allows reports of basic activity, backup jobs and critical system errors via email to multiple recipients

Performance Driven Aesthetic Design
• Informative status LEDs on front panel display vital information about each internal drive and network activity
• Sleek, aesthetic look conforms to any modern office or home décor and saves space without sacrificing performance
• Removable hard drive rack to allow quick swapping of hard drives should a drive fail
• Oversized fan allows ultra-silent operation and minimal power consumption

Full line of Buffalo Technology Terastation NAS devices, with 640 GB, 1.0 TB, and 1.6 TB models available.
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/category-detail.php?categoryid=19

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 640 GB model is selling for US$699 a this place:
http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?id=1003963

Buffalo Technology also has single drive NAS models, called Linkstation. These also have the print server and USB external interfaces like the Terastation, but only a 100 Mb Ethernet interface:
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/category-detail.php?categoryid=16

HD-H120LAN-main.jpg

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've communicated with a few people who have purchased the Buffalo NAS product. The consensus seemed to be that it wasn't terribly exciting, but did the job.

The ability to expand with USB drives seemed to be a real plus.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
At something under $100, Linksys offers the NSLU2, a Linux-based device that allows connection of one or two USB2 drives. There is a very active community built around making them more functional.

I've used them. They work very well. Great cheap NAS solution.

That's the one. Maybe I'll give it a second chance. But it was darn slow with the ADS enclosure I was using.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Oddly enough, I've used them with 250MB 7k250 ATA drives in Bytecc enclosures, and they've been wonderful. In my office here we use them as unsecured file servers our students can access.

Dïscfärm

One important question about the Terastation model line is: Can the user replace a failed hard drive in the RAID? The answer is YES. The manuals show how to open the chassis and replace the failed hard drive. Also, you rebuild the RAID via the web interface.

The Terastation uses ATA/133 hard drives. It doesn't look like there's anything to stop a user from swapping the all the hard drives of the least expensive 640 GB Terastation model with their own 400 GB hard drives (or the upcoming 500 GB hard drives).

The manuals for the Terastation are in the "Quick Setup Guides" section at Buffalo Technology's website:

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads-product.php?productid=99

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Looks like something I could build for about a $100 cheaper. However I wouldn't get the cool web interface nor packaging.

I recently had to deal with Buffalo's RMA service, I think it was probably one of the more positive RMA experiences I've had.

Handruin

Administrator
I found a couple solutions online using a custom mini-itx with 5 hot swapable SATA drives in a small case. Having a cool web interface would be an added bonus.

.Nut

A review on a Buffalo Technology TeraStation NAS device:

• Offering up to a terabyte of storage, this device should meet or exceed the storage needs of nearly any small-business or home user. It's also the only sub-$1,000 device to offer RAID via two groupings of drives that can each be configured for RAID 1 or RAID 5...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1780692,00.asp

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
It would be nice if they had a review with performance numbers. From what I've heard, read/write speeds aren't really anything special.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There are now two different Linux distributions for the NSLU2. I understand Debian/ARM isn't working perfectly, but it is working. $99 for a Debian machine + apt for package installs is a TON of flexibility, slow writes or not.

Splash

There's no need for it to emit a puff of rose scent every time it reads/writes.

The box just needs to be able to store up to a terabyte of data with good fault tolerance characteristics, allow for hassle-free rebuilds of the RAID storage volume in case of drive failure, and do all of this at a low price point.

ikorman

What is this storage?
Handruin said:
I found a couple solutions online using a custom mini-itx with 5 hot swapable SATA drives in a small case. Having a cool web interface would be an added bonus.

Can you disclose what those solutions were? I am currently shopping for a new storage solution.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
time said:
Pradeep said:
From what I've heard, read/write speeds aren't really anything special.
Why would they be special? :scratch:

From what I understand write speeds are around 5MB/sec, with reads of 10MB/sec. Not something to use if you are in a rush.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
That's over gbit? ouch... No reason you shouldn't be able to hit 20-30MB/sec on cheap gbit equipment.

With some of the PCI-E or CSA gbit solutions I would imagine 40-50MB/sec should be possible with single users and newer disks.