Laptop Recommendations?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I need some recommendations for laptops say $600.
This will be the primary computing device for the family.
I was thinking core i5 and at least a 15" screen.
Probably won't travel much, be used primarily in the house.
Needs to be able to take a bit of abuse as younger kids may be using.

I found two models at the best buy but I haven't looked at reviews yet. Both have core i5 2450M.
Lenovo V570-1066AWU 15.6" screen
Toshiba P775-S7100 17.3" screen

ddrueding

Fixture
Following in the age-old internet tradition of not answering the question you are asking and instead questioning the premise, I'll point out that your requirements:

Low price
Won't travel
Primary for family
Take abuse

...really calls out for a desktop. Keep the expensive bits away from the kids, get some more speed, and a larger screen.

That said, I'm a big fan of Lenovo products, though I have no experience with that model.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I assume you realize that a mobile i5 is only a 2-core CPU - in fact the only material difference when compared to a mobile i3 is that 'turbo' is enabled? According to Intel, maximum turbo frequency is only attainable when all cores are not in use, so does this limit it on a mobile i5 to single-threaded processes?

Bottom line is that unless your app benefits from hyper-threading, you won't see much difference between an i5 2450M and a desktop Pentium G630 (2.7GHz, ignoring HD2000 vs HD3000 graphics). So yes, it's entirely possible to build a desktop for about the same money, only with a faster disk and way bigger screen.

Durability wise, unless the "younger kids" are unusual, cheap laptops are more likely than not to cop some damage. Poking the screen with sharp objects or drawing on it, spilling food and drinks on the NOT-spill-resistant keyboard, breaking off keytops, and of course the ultimate: sitting on it and breaking the LCD panel.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Lenovo IdeaCenter H330, 440$ with shipping. You just need a monitor and speakers with it and you'd be way better than with a laptop for the needs you described. I can get similar or better monitor and speakers for less money than what Newegg ask from my local suppliers, but I don't know where else to look for online U.S. stores. For instance, I paid my LG IPS226V-BN ~155$ and my Genius SP-HF1800A 50$. I could have bought the HF500A for 35$. The LG monitor is just as good as the Dell I linked, but misses the USB hub.

You'll have a hard time trying to build a small form factor desktop with a decent power supply and include a Windows 7 license for less than the 440$ Lenovo ask for their system. That's why I recomend it.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I just think desktops are dead. Really I can't recommend them at all.
I know they are cheaper. I don't think that makes up for the downsides.

So ignoring the initial budget estimate I gave, what would be the decent laptop recommendations? Which lenovo models?
Consider HP or Dell?

Time, your concerns regarding the processor are noted.
I happen to think that for ordinary users that is more than adequate and the turbo probably makes a bigger difference than more cores.
They aren't processing photos, they are doing online banking or playing flash games.
I'd rather save money for adding an SSD versus maxing out the processor.

The kids are 6+ so I'm not concerned about toddler stuff. Just lack of respect for the connectors, occasion falls onto the floor. Typical user abuse I would guess.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Will you be using a dickung station? Keyboard and display on laptops are mediocre to awful. The ergonomics aren't healthy either.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Well, if you like typing on a puny laptop keyboard, screw the desktop then. Have you considered the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520?

Also, anything but an HP Pavilion. HP Probook are ok, but the Pavilion :hurl:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I just think desktops are dead. Really I can't recommend them at all.
I know they are cheaper. I don't think that makes up for the downsides.

Actually, I find laptops are often cheaper - but I guess you get what you pay for.

Rather than just desktops, I think PCs in general have a use-by date. Look where Google (and Apple) are heading: tablets and TVs. I foresee TVs and PCs converging, so you'll end up with large but by necessity fixed screens. Tablets on the other hand are more portable than most laptops, and unless you're writing, are going to be the portable device of choice (along with smartphones of course). I don't think many people will be trying to go for the lowest common denominator, which is a laptop.

One of the key drawbacks of 'desktops' is the grossly oversized towers that people find increasingly incompatible with modern living. The depth means they won't even fit under many desks, if they're on top you have to organize your desk around them, and moving them is a PITA. I've found that people considering a laptop can often be persuaded to try a small desktop PC instead, which is why I obsess about MicroATX cases.

In fact, that's what happened with my neighbour; he had a Toshiba 17" laptop (yes, just like you're considering), but I talked him into a Silverstone SG04-F, a stylish, elegant case that's just 13.7" deep but uses a standard ATX PSU and has 4 full-height expansion slots. Combined with a 23" IPS monitor, it's a massive usability improvement over the TN-panel laptop, which has a habit of losing keytops. ;) His kids are 9 and 11.

So ignoring the initial budget estimate I gave, what would be the decent laptop recommendations? Which lenovo models?
Consider HP or Dell?

Dell Latitude and Vostro are off my list; we have one here that has very poor battery life, but more to the point, has been away being repaired several times for weeks at a time. Admittedly, that's included two(!) occasions when my youngest daughter sat on it (with the lid closed, on a bed), as well as the discovery that the keys are easily melted with a hair dryer (spilled some water on the keyboard and panicked). :eek:wneddnce:

HP Pavilion remains off my list because of the Nvidia debacle and HP's concerted attempts to screw people over rather than fix their broken laptops.

Despite the lower specs (eg. no USB 3.0), I still favor Lenovo because of the more robust designs. There's a special on Thinkpad T520 at the moment if you're interested. After that the L520 is the closest, with the Edge E520 a bit further down the pecking order (and I don't much like the 'island' keys myself). IdeaPads are a different proposition altogether, although someone here (was it Mubs or Lunar?) bought one for a niece or someone and we haven't heard any complaints so far.

Time, your concerns regarding the processor are noted.
I happen to think that for ordinary users that is more than adequate and the turbo probably makes a bigger difference than more cores.
They aren't processing photos, they are doing online banking or playing flash games.
I'd rather save money for adding an SSD versus maxing out the processor.

Oh I agree entirely, but that's a reason to get a desktop: you can afford to use an SSD straight up. I recently coupled one with a Pentium G850 (2.9GHz), and I've got one here with a Celeron G530; both systems are beautifully responsive and use hardly any power.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The HP Probook 4530 is in your price point and I recommend them mainly for the fact that they are inexpensive business products. They have a ridiculous load of crapware on them, but the hardware is decent enough.

You can also find brand-new previous generation Thinkpads on sites like Amazon.com that have been discounted into the realm of affordability. I've bought a couple Thinkpad T410s for around $600 since the beginning of the year. I have a strong preference for going this route when I can. And I'll make my usual statement that an Ideapad is not a Thinkpad and for that matter I've come to the conclusion that a Thinkpad Edge isn't really a Thinkpad either.

time is right that whatever batteries Dell uses are horrid. On the other hand, they're downright CHEAP to replace and don't seem to mind knock-offs, which is a problem with some other brands. I don't think Latitudes are bad otherwise. They're well made at least.

I don't have anything positive to say about Toshiba business products, but I haven't gotten to play with one in a while either.

Mercutio

The HP Probook 4530 is in your price point and I recommend them mainly for the fact that they are inexpensive business products. They have a ridiculous load of crapware on them, but the hardware is decent enough.

You can also find brand-new previous generation Thinkpads on sites like Amazon.com that have been discounted into the realm of affordability. I've bought a couple Thinkpad T410s for around $600 since the beginning of the year. I have a strong preference for going this route when I can. And I'll make my usual statement that an Ideapad is not a Thinkpad and for that matter I've come to the conclusion that a Thinkpad Edge isn't really a Thinkpad either.

time is right that whatever batteries Dell uses are horrid. On the other hand, they're downright CHEAP to replace and don't seem to mind knock-offs, which is a problem with some other brands. I don't think Latitudes are bad otherwise. They're well made at least.

I don't have anything positive to say about Toshiba business products, but I haven't gotten to play with one in a while either.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
There are three laptop screen options for the T520.
  • 15.6" HD (1366 x 768) LED Backlight AntiGlare, with Wireless WAN Antenna
  • 15.6" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlight AntiGlare display, with Wireless WAN Antenna [add $50.00]
  • 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) LED Backlit AntiGlare display, with Wireless WAN Antenna [add $250.00]

You think the FHD is worth the upgrade, or even the HD+?
I think FHD on a 15.6" screen would be tiny.

Users already use reading glasses.

Mercutio

You can make fonts and stuff bigger, but there's no other way to get back a couple hundred missing vertical pixels. I think of 1366xwhatever as "shitty laptop resolution", as in, if I see it on a laptop I know it's a POS. A lot of software nowadays is just designed for 800 vertical pixels and plenty of stuff doesn't look right without that extra space. So it's absolutely worth it to move up to the middle range.

When I got my T420, I couldn't get 1600x900 unless I went with discrete graphics. If they've changed that, it's a good thing.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I used to have a laptop (IBM Thinkpad R50p) with a 15" screen and a 1600x1200 definition and I liked it a lot. I found it easy to read, but perhaps someone with a challenged near-sight might think otherwise. So I don't think 1080p on a 15.6" screen is a good idea for someone who has reading glasses. I would opt for the 1600x900 screen among the choices you've displayed.

LunarMist

Actually, I find laptops are often cheaper - but I guess you get what you pay for.

Rather than just desktops, I think PCs in general have a use-by date. Look where Google (and Apple) are heading: tablets and TVs. I foresee TVs and PCs converging, so you'll end up with large but by necessity fixed screens. Tablets on the other hand are more portable than most laptops, and unless you're writing, are going to be the portable device of choice (along with smartphones of course). I don't think many people will be trying to go for the lowest common denominator, which is a laptop.

Perhaps that is the marketing trend for home entertainment, but some people actually have to work and create content.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Lenovo has started rolling out USB 3.0 laptops, starting with the Edge 430 and 530. I assume the T series will be next; perhaps that's why they've been cheap lately - new models coming?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Nice to see USB3 happening, seems like we have been waiting on that for a while.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Lenovo has started rolling out USB 3.0 laptops, starting with the Edge 430 and 530. I assume the T series will be next; perhaps that's why they've been cheap lately - new models coming?
June 5th, evidently, for the beginning of the rollout of new T, X, etc., models.

If the current laptop model features an Expresscard 2.0 slot, one could easily add an inexpensive USB 3.0 card. Example: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=97779

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Chiclet ('island') keys as standard? That's disastrous news! WTF?

And no word on IPS panels. It's going to be a struggle finding reasons to recommend them if overall durability has been compromised, as appears.

Mercutio

I can't see Lenovo doing that for T-series Thinkpads. The keyboards are as famous a component of their construction as the rollcage. The X-series models are too damned small to type on anyway, which I could see as a reason to de-emphasize the keyboard. Or maybe they're trying to tear a page out of Apple's book?

My biggest complaint about the T420 is that it's a little louder than the T60 and T61 I have, something I've chalked up to the fact that it has a discrete GPU to cool. Mine doesn't flex or bend at all and in point of fact my T60 has a slightly more flexible wrist rest than either my T61 or T420. I'm not entirely pleased that Ultrabay devices no longer quick eject since I carry around the full assortment of them, but I'm willing to concede that it should be a low priority since I don't even know anyone else who used that capability.

LunarMist

That is a terrible trend. I regret not buying the 12" Fujitsu last year.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
A bit more research suggests that the preliminary pictures (and Youtube) are of a T430u (Ultrabook) rather than the not-so-thin T430. The T430u looks like an Edge to me and apparently has a fixed battery. Whereas the T430 picture spotted on a university website only a few days ago has the standard keyboard with the blue (or whatever color that is) Enter key. Of course, it might be the wrong picture, so we'll just have to wait and see.

List of new Lenovo laptops

Mercutio

Actually, I'm a bit more disappointed that I don't see an L-series Thinkpad on that list. Have they moved the suffix-less T into the budget model category?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Actually, I'm a bit more disappointed that I don't see an L-series Thinkpad on that list. Have they moved the suffix-less T into the budget model category?
Yeah, I was curious about that too. Is it that the L (formerly the SL) has become the S ?

Another passing thought, re: screen quality, I read an article or blurb a couple months ago (don't recall from where) in which it was being postulated that consumer familiarity with the appearance of generally higher quality screens being utilized in Tablets might have a knock on affect upon those being used in laptops (because the expectation that they should be the same). To that end, it doesn't hurt that Apple is saturating media with ads claiming "when a screen becomes this good blah blah blah... the stunning retina display" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUNgLt6UKc8).

On the other hand, IPS screens seem to be of varying quality grades themselves now ... so perhaps there will be some squeezing on both ends.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Actually, I'm a bit more disappointed that I don't see an L-series Thinkpad on that list.
I saw on the thinkpads forum that they will actually have an L430 and L530 models (there is a thread that mentions it as well as a Lenovo pdf that references the two).

I think the S is an Edge anyway.

Mercutio

At one time there was an L, an SL and an S. They were all entry level Thinkpads. I think the SL was made with sustainable materials or green something-or-other.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I think the SL was made with sustainable materials or green something-or-other.

That's the L.

Lenovo claimed that the L wasn't a direct replacement for the SL, and indeed they did coexist for a while. The L is supposed to be for fleet buyers ("Enterprise") who presumably won't wear the expense of the T series. The L was inevitably higher-spec than the SL because the SL was an old design with old CPUs.

The Edge series are aimed at price-conscious (and fashion-conscious) consumers.

I haven't seen an X1 in the flesh, but in pictures it appears to have the same keyboard as the Edge - is that right?

LunarMist

No of course not, but I am using [/U]ve the tablet for other reasons. those gummi-keyboards are depressing.

LunarMist

Who is in charge of them? Perhaps something can be done.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't get it either, is there some sort of an advantage? Like are they thinner or do they cost less? It certainly is not typists choosing them.

Mercutio

In other news, Tx20-series Thinkpads won't be out of the retail channel until probably this time next year.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
In amongst the BS here's the underlying reason:

Sticking with the classic-style keyboard was apparently not even an option. Bhati said Lenovo wanted to use the same new keyboard design and typing experience across its entire lineup.

Assholes.

LunarMist

What logic is that? Normally a manufacturer provides a range of products with different features and different prices.