Laptop Drive has bad sectors - what should I replace it with

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
My wife's laptop hard drive WDC 3200BEKT-60V5T1 has some bad sectors. Laptop is just out of warranty (2/15/2011). So I'm considering what to replace it with. I was looking at that seagate hybrid hard drive the momentus XT but the reviews on the egg seem to indicate firmware issues and not sleeping which is a big battery drain. The laptop itself was only $550.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
There is like 75GB of data already there so that won't fly. And the 120GB SSDs seem to be over $200.

Can't seem to find a good notebook drive roundup. In the one I found at tom's the Western Digitals seems to be the fastest but I'm hesitant to replace a busted one with the same thing.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
As long as you accept that the device is only supposed to last as long as the warranty and plan for it's demise accordingly I don't think you can expect much more. If you have a proactive backup strategy for the laptop then you don't even have to replace the drive when the warranty runs out. Additionally, some of the drive models come with 3 year warranties.

To get the cheapest drive I actually took the drive out of an external USB kit. There must have been a sale or something.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I just installed a 320GB, 7200RPM laptop drive in a external device.

At the Egg, $59.99.

That one is fine. I think the Hitachi is too. And I agree that the 500GB Seagate 7200 RPM drive is slower than it should be for some reason. :drl: