LACP-capable SoHo Router or Switch Suggestions

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Now that I finally have multiple ethernet ports on my NAS and desktop, I'm looking to experiment with LAGG. I could hack around with my current gateway router to get it to work, but I'd run out of ports for anything else in my network.

I was looking at the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X but was wondering if anyone here had a suggestion for a better or cheaper option.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I think that I'd like to eventually roll my own router, but I'm not ready to dive into pfSense yet. I'm just looking to get my feet wet and figure out how to set up LACP on the machines.

Handruin

Administrator
I wouldn't personally configure LACP direct to my router unless if you're doing it for redundancy, not performance. I'd rather connect multiple links to a dedicate switch that can handle it in hardware offloading vs software as done in the less expensive EdgeRouter series. Unless if you really need the performance benefit of multiple links to route between networks you may be better off finding a switch with two 10Gb SFP+ ports.

I believe that the Ubiquiti Edge router series won't support offloading on LAG port bonding so your performance may suffer more than if you just used a single connection. Again, I would put a dedicated switch that supports LACP in front of the router assuming you do not need to route that much traffic.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Redundancy is a more important goal than performance. Whatever switch or router that I pick up for this would only connect the two devices.

My original thought on this was to hack one of the spare consumer routers that I have lying around for the experimentation, but it turns out that the only one that can do it is my gateway router. I figured that if I was going to spend $50 on something, it may as well be specifically up for the task.