It was inevitable...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Hey, speaking of goofy case modifications, I was looking around for small LCD screens I could mount in my linux boxes when I ran across this. No idea if it'll work.

Still looking for a screen that'll mount in a couple of 5.25" drive bays so I can get rid of some $#%%^#-ing monitors.

double bit CRC error

What is this storage?
$15!! that is a steal.... I could really see people using that in a car type installation or.. if you needed to do remote work on a computer with possible bad monitor.... i dunno.. but a 640x480 VGA LCD screen sounds pretty neat to me.. even if it is only 6"....

double bit CRC error

What is this storage?
lol, from the same site merc posted...

Check out the "Hot new" 486 action
US Made Micronics 486 VLB All In One $15.00 or 2 for $19.00

Motherboard supports 3.4 or 5v CPU at either 25 or 33 mhz basic clock
Can use AMD or Intel from 4865x25 thru 4866DX4-100 to Hot new AMD 5x86-133 CPU
On Board 2 serial ports, printer port, floppy and IDE hard drive controller
On Board 256k cache
Use 72 pin simm merory
VLB riser board encluded with motherboard
Board will not fit standard All in One case because of non standard location of riser board

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Hey, speaking of goofy case modifications, I was looking around for small LCD screens I could mount in my linux boxes when I ran across this. No idea if it'll work.

I highly doubt it. Those are usually designed to interface directly to a microcontroller, so you need some sort of adaptor plus drivers to make it work with a PC. Remember what comes out of a monitor cable is analog, while this display needs digital input. Still, at $15.00 each and backlit besides, these are a steal. I might pick up one or two and see if I can do anything productive them.

Mercutio

I figured that you or Groltz would have a better idea what to do with those than I do. Let us know if you figure anything out. :)

The big problem I'm having is that, yes, there are 6" LCDs in the world, but it seems that almost all of them are NTSC. If I can't read text on a 32" NTSC display, I'm surely not going to read it on a 6" NTSC display.

Mercutio

I figured that you or Groltz would have a better idea what to do with those than I do. Let us know if you figure anything out. :)

The big problem I'm having is that, yes, there are 6" LCDs in the world, but it seems that almost all of them are NTSC. If I can't read text on a 32" NTSC display, I'm surely not going to read it on a 6" NTSC display.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Mercutio said:

I'm afraid that this is beyond the scope of my imagination.

I don't see any info about them on Sanyo's web site. (Are they surplus?)

Mercutio

Sometimes I miss new posts, too, Groltz, but no. I was thinking of installing a tiny VGA monitor in the tower cases in my server closet, where space is at a premium and I don't need to interact with the machines THAT much.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
What I was curious about was if the concept of a case-front mounted display like these was what you were envisioning.

Something that would be just enough to allow the set-up of a machine or the checking of its stats?

The displays that you linked would be able to show much more than these that have only a few rows of scrolling marquee, I would expect.
With so little data (and lack of images) on those Sanyo LCD's one can only speculate how much would be needed to design proper bracketry and wiring harness.