iPod>iPhone>iPad

Handruin

Administrator
I don't remember a specific site but even if I did visit a site that did that...is that the fault of flash or the inconsiderate developers who decided to make the usability and experience poor?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Use the Flashblock extension in Firefox.

Not likely. I'd have to call the IT support in Kathmandu and then maybe eventually someone would install Firefox via remote control. I don't know about the flashblocker.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't remember a specific site but even if I did visit a site that did that...is that the fault of flash or the inconsiderate developers who decided to make the usability and experience poor?
I think it falls under "convincing people to use it properly."

At any rate, if you came to such a site, it would bother you.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been using the 10.1 RC, and it's a lot better. It hasn't crashed my browser yet.

+1. I found the flash on this Nexus page used heaps of CPU in Chrome and Opera, and actually caused Opera to hang. Upgrading to 10.1 RC kept both browsers responsive.

Interestingly, Firefox seemed to use less CPU when running the same flash. Anybody have any idea why, or even care?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I think the breakdown with Flash is "Flash for IE" vs. "Flash for everything else."

Guys, guys, guys. Aren't you aware that a certain mod here has a propensity to go postal about all these OT posts and how you're only trolling this thread? :D

<checks thread title>...oops, I see this is not the Something Random thread...right then, carry on :p

Hmm, Adobe preferentially coding for certain platform/browers...never!

Since I guess Safari 4.0, within browser display of pdf files (instead of d/l the file and later call for separate window to open via AR) via Acrobat Reader preferences default check box, AR has consistently caused Safari 4.x to crash shortly after displaying the pdf file pages, no fix in sight.

Everyone using Safari for the Mac OS X has had to disable that 'preference' and instead use the less feature filled OS X "preview" app to display pdf's inside the browser window.

Adobe seems to take forever to get things right, kind of like how all the PC clones/competitors take forever to properly copy the immensely popular, innovative Apple product lines. Will the iPad be a flash (OT pun intended) in the pan, or the start of a new format for distribution of info/e-books etc? Apple wasn't able to keep up with the initial demand and has delayed international release of the Wi-Fi iPad...enraging some.

Remember it here and now, there have been tablets out there long before the iPad, just the same as there were MP3 & 'smartphone' b4 the iPod & iPhone...then we have the whiners here on SF, who complain to no end about the faults of the Apple products, while ignoring the failures of the competitors, failing to note that without the Apple influence, you'd all be back in the stone age :D.

My guess is that Apple, which had been working on this 'tablet' for years, waited as long as they could, left out features for future updated models, inorder to get out to a head start on the competition. Seems like they have planned/timed it well...analyst's advise are targeting AAPL stock to hit $300...if U bought just over a year ago when it was near $80, you'd be sitting on a hefty profit.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Well the Slate blows, so say the 'reviews' :).

Early HP slate hands-on: just a netbook without a keyboard

...with *only* 5hr battery ...darn :p

Apple execs highlight early iPad success

COO Tim Cook claims the company is "thrilled" and "shocked" by how well the iPad has been selling, as it has received an "enormous response" during the short time on the market so far.Cook suggests there was "nothing obvious in the iPod numbers or the Mac numbers to suggest cannibalization," following the announcement, but any affect after launch is still unclear. "We don't know yet, we will find out."

Before answering a question regarding the iPad's direct competition, the COO admitted his personal bias against netbooks. "I'm the wrong person to ask that because to me its a no-brainer. iPad, netbook -- it's 100 to zero. I can't think of a single thing the netbook does well, and the iPad does so many things very, very well, that I'm already personally addicted to mine and couldn't live without it."

The company is still uncertain how the 3G -enabled iPad will perform compared to the Wi-Fi model. "We really need to be selling both models side-by-side in an unconstrained environment before we can really know," Cook said.
RIM is just as clueless as Gates

RIM chief: market unclear for tablets, touch-only phones

...of course there's a vested interests bias in being disingenuous.

After a HS announced all students would get iPads, replacing books...now

California hospital plans to give 100 iPads to doctors

director of technical services, Nick Volosin, reportedly plans to take advantage of the tablet's 10-hour battery life, which is expected to help avoid wasting time recharging notebook computers in between appointments.

"This is going to make my day easier and patient safety better," Dr. Roger Haley told a local ABC News station in an interview. "Now, I don't have to find a workstation to do what I need to do; I do it right there, right then, right now."

Doctors are reportedly using the new tablet to keep track of patients, connect to the hospital network, view x-ray images, monitor EKG results, and send e-mail, among other tasks. Volosin suggests iPad integration has been an easy transition, as many doctors were already using Citrix Receiver for the iPhone.

"We're giving users full access to a full virtual desktop," Volosin said. "They can run anything we can run internally."

...the revolution has begun :bglaugh: ...watch as all the Winblows copies come to market 6mo or so from now, trying to avoid being left behind...Dell's already got 2 set to come out in the near future.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
APPLE TO $500: WILL CRUSH EXXON MARKET CAP

Our economictiming.com forecast from October 23, 2009 that Apple's market share would propel the stock to $500 a share is on track. Back then, with Apple at $205, people assumed we were just as crazy as when we forecast oil to drop to $30 and Bank of America to rise to $20. The key takeaway from this Apple earnings report is that seasonality no longer exists for the company. By selling 8.75 million iPhones at the beginning of the year (131% growth) Apple has entered new territory. The fact that this company’s hottest product is an iPhone that needs to be replaced every 18-24 months is a fact that not many analysts have noticed. I realized it when Steve Jobs spent a few minutes at the iPad event explaining that Apple was now the world’s #1 mobile device company. What does this really mean? It means that the life cycle of products is no longer seven years like it was for the Mac. All these analysts who are saying that the Apple story is all about the Mac are dead wrong. The Apple story is all about this shorter cycle of mobile device replacement combined with consumer loyalty. Never before have we had a mobile device company command loyalty like Apple. The old norm used to be that you would break or lose your cellphone, head down to the Verizon store and buy whatever new phone was hot that month. Now, if you’re an iPhone user you head down to AT&T and buy another iPhone without even considering the competition. The Apple ecosystem of iTunes and App Store is too convenient.

Over the next 18 months Apple will trade like Google did in its early years and it will trade like Baidu trades now. $300 a share will arrive much sooner than anticipated as will $400. The halo effect of iPod, Mac, iPhone, and iPad are all working in tandem to create a critical mass like this world has never seen. The #1 mobile electronics device company in the world will grow to command an all-time record breaking market cap; as they should. We're living in the middle of a technological revolution and Apple certainly will end up crushing the market cap of Exxon.
Hmm, I kind of doubt we'll see AAPL @$400 for any extended period of time, if ever...meh, but I've been wrong b4.

Now hold on there d00d, the life cycle for the Mac was *never* 7yrs (yes, *my* system is 7yrs old, but only bcuz I wanted something that could still boot OS9 for stuff I still have from that legacy SW)...it only seemed like that when Moto started draggin their feet on producing faster/better G4 chips-mem bandwidth sluggishness, and IBM lost interest in the G5 ^ damned h8trs...rest of the story is of course quite correct :D

Handruin

Administrator
Udaman, you preach buying Apple products, but what about this craptasically designed mac book pro that can get a core i7 up to 100 degrees Celsius under heavy CPU tasks? They ran the same tests on a Fujitsu Lifebook SH 760 and it was 20 degrees cooler. Pure example of their focus of form over functionality. That has to hurt performance every time the CPU hits it's safety temperature zone and throttles back the frequency.

If you want to burn the hell out of your crotch, there are cheaper ways than buying a Macbook Pro ($2300).