Intel to launch new CPUs 3Q10

Handruin

Administrator
I wasn't expecting new CPUs to show up this early. I don't see anything huge from the info, but who knows? If you wanted a 6-core, the listed i7-970 will get you into that realm for a little less money compared to the i7-980, or you could just go AMD.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What does that mean for people like me with a limited $5K budget? Can I put together a system with 6 channels of RAM for less dough than the standard i7 980EX on X58?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I think I'm going i7 on the next round of price drops next month. Hear something like the 3ghz one should be around $300 or less. Six cores isn't interesting me very much but the architecture difference and a modest freq bump does.

LunarMist

I'd be fine with a quad-core 32nm part that OCs to >4Hz, but I don't think that any of them access 6 memory slots.

ddrueding

Fixture
Technically, that computer has 3 harddrives that cost more than $1k each. But yes, I know what you are talking about.

I think that as normal users performance needs are met by more generic and cheap hardware, workstation-grade hardware sales will decrease, and we'll be paying even more...

LunarMist

Remember when harddrives cost thousands?

Yes. I paid $800 for the original 18GB Atlas 10K 11 years ago. It was about a thousand with the non-RAID SCSI card. The 36GB was rather more than that.
I also paid $1200 for two 40x 2GB CF cards 7 years ago. :eek: