I started running again

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I ran track and cross-country all through high school. But, after that I pretty much stopped running entirely. I think the main reason was that I had gotten tired of it, and my knees would hurt pretty much all the time. Running 35-45 miles a week gets old after 4 years.

But, a couple days ago I decided that I had better start again. I had just been feeling weak all the time and I figure this will help. I'm not back into shape yet. I have only run 2 times so far. I just hope that I can keep it up, when you don't have a team to run with it really is a lot harder to make yourself do it everyday.

So, how do all you guys stay in shape? Anyone want to come and run 5 or 6 miles with me?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
timwhit said:
So, how do all you guys stay in shape? Anyone want to come and run 5 or 6 miles with me?
Running 5-6 miles with you wouldn't be a problem if I hadn't to run another thousand and something from Montréal to Illinois.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Ah yes, the elusive "staying in shape." I've found that more time behind a desk and older age have made it much more difficult to achieve this end. I fight the battle by paddling in my kayak, bicycling, hiking, and swimming. I sometimes run, but it is definitely not my most favorite activity. I have found that the variety is helpful. I get bored doing the same exercise day in and day out. I've also found that it is much more difficult without a team. I rowed in college, and making it to early morning workouts were much easier knowing that you had a team that was counting on you and a coach that would rip you a new one if you were late.

Good luck with you runs![/quote]

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
timwhit said:

To answer the first question, I generally bike ten to twenty miles three to seven times per week, and walk every place I don't take the subway to. I walked 9 miles round trip to CompUSA yesterday to pick up a 100 GB Maxtor for $100. On my way home I found a nice 4 foot high stainless steel CD tower that someone put out with the trash-I lugged that thing 3 miles home on my shoulder while carrying the hard drive, and I would say it weighs about 20 pounds. Now that's a good work out. :) Incidentally, the local bus service has been on strike the last week, so that wasn't an option. The subway's still running but the subway portion of the trip yesterday would have only been about a mile and a half in each direction-hardly worth paying $1.50 for.

I'll admit it's hard to be consistent staying in shape but when I think of the other option(getting old and fat and dying of a heart attack :eek:) I suddenly have an incentive.

To answer the second question, it's not practical since I'm too far from you, and I really don't like running that much. Too much pounding on the joints and no breeze to cool you off like you get when cycling.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
timwhit said:
I think the main reason was that I had gotten tired of it, and my knees would hurt pretty much all the time.
I have only run 2 times so far.

Anyone want to come and run 5 or 6 miles with me?

Unless you are exagerating how long it has been since you have run or are extremely light for a guy (120lbs); starting up with 5-6 miles is a sure way get your knees unhappy again.

If the tiredness you are feeling is lung related then intervals is your best bet for VO2 max gains.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Cliptin said:
Unless you are exagerating how long it has been since you have run or are extremely light for a guy (120lbs); starting up with 5-6 miles is a sure way get your knees unhappy again.

If the tiredness you are feeling is lung related then intervals is your best bet for VO2 max gains.

I haven't run more than 6 times in the last 2 years. 5 or 6 miles really isn't that far for me. I'm not that light, 160lbs, knees don't seem to be bothering me at all yet. I was always under the impression that the best way to increase VO2 max was to run over 8 miles and really push while doing it.

I don't like running intervals very much, and I like to stay off the track as much as I can. I just have bad memories of running 6 1-mile intervals every 12 minutes. Not very fun at all.

I think I want to start running some races again...maybe I will search out some local 5K's. Only problem is that they all start real early on Sat morning and I am usually hungover till 1 in the afternoon.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
At the moment I'm not staying in any kind of shape. I used to lift weights. More recently I was in the habit of a morning walk with a companion. Right now I'm not doing anything at all except gaining weight.

I couldn't run a mile, let alone 5 (running, even at the height of my fitness, was not something I could do), but it strikes me that I'd otherwise be the person most able to to take up on your offer.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Recent studies show that intervals work better for VO2 max.

For VO2 max improvement to occur, training runs should be conducted at an intensity of at least 70 percent of VO2 max. Seventy percent of VO2 max corresponds to a pace that will bring your heart rate to 75-80 percent of maximum. Running at intensities close to 100 percent VO2 max is the best thing you can do to elevate your VO2 max.

The best way to complete a significant volume of running at 100 percent of VO2 max is to use intervals of three to five minutes at 3k to 5k race pace with about equal recovery between each interval. By dividing your workload into intervals, you can run for more total minutes at 100 percent of VO2 max than if you attempted a continuous run.

http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/hampson.html

In my view, distance work is more for calorie burning muscle/metabolism training and psychological training.[/i]

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Since I can't stand pounding my feet against the ground I went the machine route, running-wise. I also have a knee that is somewhat prone to injury so it made it that much more important not to put shocks through it.

The downside of running on a machine (elliptical trainer, actually) is that the scenery isn't very exciting. I have mine in front of a window that overlooks a field and gives a good view of Mt. Rainier on clear days. I use music piped into headphones for entertainment during the sessions.

Progress has been pretty good, especially for a guy that is partway through his 3rd decade. When I started in January, I would be panting for air after a short time and have sore legs the next day. After persisting all these months, I can now go for a couple hours on it and not be winded or sore at all. The longest I've done was 2 hours, 5 minutes (the maximum the machine's computer will allow) which the computer said equaled 12.51 miles/1759 calories.
I skipped going on it today...for shame...it was too damned hot even with a pedestal fan standing right in front of it.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
jtr1962 said:
I walked 9 miles round trip to CompUSA yesterday to pick up a 100 GB Maxtor for $100. On my way home I found a nice 4 foot high stainless steel CD tower that someone put out with the trash-I lugged that thing 3 miles home on my shoulder while carrying the hard drive, and I would say it weighs about 20 pounds. Now that's a good work out. :)

My god you must have been sweating like a pig. Wasn't it around the mid 80's yesterday?

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
I was at a grad party on saturday and there was some volleyball going on. I haven't played volleyball in a few years. I played like 4 matches. My legs were killing me the next few days, especially the stabilizer type muscles. It wasn't till yesterday that I was back at 100%. I'm only 26.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'm visiting a gym 3 times a week. It's enough IMO. 2 hours weights and aerobics per time...

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
DrunkenBastard said:
jtr1962 said:
I walked 9 miles round trip to CompUSA yesterday to pick up a 100 GB Maxtor for $100. On my way home I found a nice 4 foot high stainless steel CD tower that someone put out with the trash-I lugged that thing 3 miles home on my shoulder while carrying the hard drive, and I would say it weighs about 20 pounds. Now that's a good work out. :)

My god you must have been sweating like a pig. Wasn't it around the mid 80's yesterday?

I was coming back around 8 PM when the sun was starting to set, so it wasn't too bad(I think it was in the high 70s). My shirt was damp by the time I got home, but not soaked. For whatever reason, I don't sweat a whole lot although I still find hot weather uncomfortable. Give me winter any day. :)

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
jtr1962 said:
For whatever reason, I don't sweat a whole lot although I still find hot weather uncomfortable. :)

Seriously, If you don't use nature's air conditioner, I can certainly understand why you would not like hot weather. You can train your body to sweat more.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Prof.Wizard said:
I'm visiting a gym 3 times a week. It's enough IMO. 2 hours weights and aerobics per time...
3 times would be enough if you would start lifting the true dumbels. Those blue and pink weights are for the old ladies, not you ;-)

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
CougTek said:
jtr1962 said:
Give me winter any day. :)
Learn French and come here. We'll talk about your season preference in a year.

You can keep your winters Coug. I like winter too, but the ones we get here, and some of what they get in Seattle. I have plenty of relatives in New England, and I'd prefer not to drive on ice for most of the winter.

Mercutio

Like the Yankees on the east coast have much to complain about. I mean, I've been to Buffalo in January and that's bad, but I'm sure any one of myself, Clocker or Adcadet has been through worse most winters. I get sick of the "Oh. It snowed a foot and a half in Boston and the whole city stopped working." Two words: Lake Effect.

Cougtek is, of course, in a class by himself, with none but moose (mooses?), caribou and the Wendigo to keep him company.

You haven't really seen snow unless its buffeting your house on 50mph winds, with the structure you live in the only vertical surface, surrounded by all sides by miles of cornfields, either. :)

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Handruin said:
<--- New England.

Exactly. Massachusetts is great in the spring or fall like the rest of New England. Summer sucks, because it’s extraordinarily humid without any tropical breezes, and the winters are packed with ice and snow (usually). Boston is a great city (much better than New York if you don’t like super-crowded and filth-ridden streets (no reflection on Flushing)), but you couldn’t pay me to move there in the summer, and I’d shy away from the winters. Boston has a great pastry shop called Michaels (little Italy). Nice neighborhood too.

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Mercutio said:
Two words: Lake Effect.

Amen to that...I remember growing up as a kid in Chicago, and some of the snows that we had there. I can only remember one time that school was actually closed (and that was only because it was -60 degrees F with the wind chill). Living in the South now, it amazes me when we have even a threat of snow--schools close, people buy up all of the bread and milk at the store--it's crazy. And all the while I'm thinking, "This sure beats Chicago!"

It's hot here in the summertime, but winter, spring, and fall are outstanding!

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Cliptin said:
jtr1962 said:
For whatever reason, I don't sweat a whole lot although I still find hot weather uncomfortable. :)

Seriously, If you don't use nature's air conditioner, I can certainly understand why you would not like hot weather. You can train your body to sweat more.

The problem isn't that I don't sweat enough, it's that it's usually so humid here in the summers that it doesn't do any good. Flushing used to be a giant swamp before it was settled.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Haven't read this thread yet, but I also started running about 6 weeks ago. The Nike sp120 MP3 player really helps, because I'm used to running with music.

And because my boss at work does triathlon etc, he got me interested in running a marathon. I ran a half marathon 2 weeks ago, and I'm thinking about running the full marathon after a few months, if I'm motivated enough to practise for it.

What a good feeling after running for an hour!

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Tannin said:
Prof, you are supposed to lift a few barbells and do some press-ups and stuff, not just look at the girls, you know.
I'm trying... :p But there ARE some great chicks coming to sweat... Wizard can't miss the show... :wink:
CougTek said:
3 times would be enough if you would start lifting the true dumbels. Those blue and pink weights are for the old ladies, not you ;-)
Yeah, you know I've noticed those usual pink, blue, yellow weights, but I try to ignore them... :wink: I'm a gym beast... 8)
Learn French and come here. We'll talk about your season preference in a year.
I have an e-friend from Québec (in ICQ). He says that a Mediterrenean (like me) can't even imagine what means cold and winter in Montréal... -20'C without chill factor? :eek: Definitely NOT for me...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I remember one time back in my younth when I passed newspapers (I must have been 13 back then). It was a saturday morning, maybe around 6am. The saturday newspapers were always two to three times heavier than those of the other days of the week. My delivery run took around an hour usually.

That morning, it was -37C without the wind. Problem is : it was windy and the adjusted temperature was - 52C according to the meteo man on T.V. I think I lost most of my sensibility for cold temperatures on that day. Nowadays, I'm very resilient to the cold, even compared to other Québécois.

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Like the Yankees on the east coast have much to complain about. I mean, I've been to Buffalo in January and that's bad, but I'm sure any one of myself, Clocker or Adcadet has been through worse most winters. I get sick of the "Oh. It snowed a foot and a half in Boston and the whole city stopped working." Two words: Lake Effect.

Cougtek is, of course, in a class by himself, with none but moose (mooses?), caribou and the Wendigo to keep him company.

You haven't really seen snow unless its buffeting your house on 50mph winds, with the structure you live in the only vertical surface, surrounded by all sides by miles of cornfields, either. :)

<-- was born in Buffalo NY on 12/17/76 and shortly after they had the blizzard of 77. 13ft snow drifts, not to say it's the worst, but the worst I've been near. I was way to little to understand and know anything was happening... 2 years later we moved to Connecticut where I grew up, and now I live in MA.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
That morning, it was -37C without the wind. Problem is : it was windy and the adjusted temperature was - 52C according to the meteo man on T.V. I think I lost most of my sensibility for cold temperatures on that day. Nowadays, I'm very resilient to the cold, even compared to other Québécois.

Note: -37°C = -34.6°F :eek: = too cold for anything except penguins and polar bears.

Funny thing you mentioned about the tolerance to cold. I pretty much can't deal with temperatures over 60°F for any length of time, especially if I'm riding my bike, but cold is another story. I only wear a sweater and wind breaker until it gets into the 40's. I'll add a sweatshirt at that point, and I'm pretty much OK for anything nature can dish out in NYC. If it gets under 10° F(which is very rare nowadays with global warming), I might think about putting on my parker. I'd love to try a nice Quebec winter just to see how far this goes. BTW, I did have French in high school, and hopefully enough would come back after a while to be useful. Montréal est trés bien en hiver, n'est pas?

simonstre

What is this storage?
jtr1962 said:
BTW, I did have French in high school, and hopefully enough would come back after a while to be useful. Montréal est trés bien en hiver, n'est pas?

You may have learned french, but you're not prepared for this :
Osti de calice mon homme chu donc content d'te vouère!

This is called joual in my contry. :)

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
simonstre said:
You may have learned french, but you're not prepared for this :
Osti de calice mon homme chu donc content d'te vouère!

This is called joual in my contry. :)

joual=Quebec working-class dialect

BTW, I just looked this up. :)

Just out of curiosity, what does that sentence say? My French is really rusty to start with, and I just don't remember many of the words I used to know.

To show that similar analogies exist, my mom and her relatives can speak a rather obscure Sicilian dialect that is incomprehensible to most Italians(my mom's parents were originally from Italy, she was born here but spoke the language at home). In a similar vain, there are various English dialects spoken in the United States, including so-called "ebonics", which is spoken by those of The Giver's color. And last I checked, there were about 800 Chinese dialects

James

Storage is cool
Since we're bringing up obscure French phrases, here's my all-purpose French colourful insult, excuse lack of accents :

"Va te faire encule par une vache enrage."

Coug, I have no idea what your sentence says. I'm in Canada again at the moment (Halifax) and I'm reminded that I can't understand more than about half of the Quebecois French on CBC. In France I can get about 99% of what's said on TV.

Mercutio

James, when you go to work for KPMG, will you be moving back to a proper hemisphere, or staying down in "So Sunny there's a Hole in the Ozone Layer" Oz?

James

Storage is cool
The latter.

I'm also mulling an opportunity at a rival telco to become a global account director in Melbourne. Normally I wouldn't consider it, but the account turns over $54M/year and has good potential for growth. But then again, it'd be a pain to uproot us from Sydney.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
James said:
Coug, I have no idea what your sentence says.
What sentence are you talking about? Simonstre's one liner? It means, in short, I'm glad to see you man.

Simonstre isn't me BTW, any IP checker can confirm this.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
James said:
"Va te faire encule par une vache enrage."
BTW, furious cows can't fuck much of anything since they are females. Telling someone to find an enraged bull to fuck him would be painful, but more possible.

James

Storage is cool
My understanding was that it was "enrage" in the context of having rabies, ie. rabid.

I dunno, it's a Swiss thing. *shrugs*