I need to change my pointing device

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been using scroll mice since they came out, and my index finger has finally had it with clicking and scrolling. My left hand has other problems (tennis elbow?) so I can't use that.

Trackballs also have buttons that need to be clicked.

Circa 1994 a gal that worked with me had a similar problem, and she used a pen-type device with a wheel at the tip. The wheel acted like the mouse ball, and to click she would press the wheel into the mousing surface with light downward pressure. Don't even know what it was called or if it is still available.

Is there a solution for my problem?

Any and all suugestions will be gratefully considered.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
hand_sm.jpg

Mousepen

ztmangle_l.jpg

Zero-Tension Mouse

3mmouse_med.jpg

3M Ergo-Mouse

rmouse_connect_med.jpg

Quill Mouse

http://www.ergo-items.com/cursorControl.htm

iGary

There's also voice command.

Take your pick: Carpal tunnel syndrome or going hoarse.

bahngeist

What is this storage?
At the bottom of the page that Mercutio linked to also lists the Evoluent VerticalMouse. I've been using them for approx. three years now, and I no longer have mouse-related repetitive stress injury problems that came close to crippling my right hand (this is after I could no longer use my left hand, which I still have problems with five years after I stopped using it for mousing purposes). The VerticalMouse does take a (very) short while to get used to, but it does function as claimed and I use them at both home and work -- there you have it, an unintended testimonial :p

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
How can that trackball (on the linked-to page) be ergonomic? It seems to require a sharp upward bend in your wrist, same as most other trackballs. I'd like to try one even so, as every single one of the decently-shaped trackballs I know about has gone off the market. (They were all wrist-breakers as well, but still better than anything else I ever tried.)

Decent trackballs I have used, in order of decentness:

1: Logitech Trackman Vista. Perfect layout. Very expensive, out of production for quite a few years now. I have worn out about 12 of them, one by one, and there is now just one left. (Sob.) Three buttons is always nice.
2: Microsoft Intellisomethingorother (I mentioned it above). Almost as good, but the right mouse button should be on the right-hand side, not both under the thumb. Hopeless if you are left-handed (which I'm not, but I do use the mouse left-handed from time to time). Only two buttons, but that's OK. Two is enough. Plus it has a scroll wheel, which is great for resizing fonts in Mozilla. Out of production some years ago.
3: Kensington Orbit 3D. A truly stupid idea, a vibrating trackball! It has a tactile buzzer that goes off whenever you do ... er ... something or other I forget. Thankfully, if you don't load the stupid drivers, it works just fine as a standard mouse. Just as well, really, as Kensington's drivers are the most complete and utter pox I have met since the Genius mouse drivers of the mid 1990s. USB only. (Marks off.) No scroll wheel, only two buttons, but it does at least have a good shape and a decent feel. I'm using 3 of them at present as I can't get any more of the Logitech or Microsoft ones. Went out of production as soon as they had made 100,000 and sold 3. Been floating around remainder bins ever since, but they are all gone now.

All three use rollers, not optical and need cleaning regularly. Yuk! But what can you do? No-one makes a decent trackball anymore.

Others I have tried and not liked: the various weirdo red Logitech thumball things. I can tolerate one if I have to (such as when I'm at the Belinda house), but doubt I'd ever really get used to it properly. You just can't do stuff with your thumb the way you can with your fingers - not because thumbs are stupid, thumbs learn to do the fine stuff quite quickly, but because with a real (finger) trackball you do small movements with your finger, larger movements with your wrist, even the elbow. Flick, let the ball spin freely, drop the hand to stop it. Much better than any mouse. (IMHACIUO.)

Kensington ExpertMouse. Too clumsy. And LOUD! I tried and tried to get used to a pair of these, but in the end gave up. The ball is just too big and too heavy. Dumb square shape too, not comfortable.

Various cheap no-name trackballs that are well-shaped and sensibly laid out, but manufactured with all the precision and flair of a gunny sack.

Nobody makes decent pointing devices anymore.

Bring back the Trackman Vista!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tannin said:
Others I have tried and not liked: the various weirdo red Logitech thumball things. I can tolerate one if I have to (such as when I'm at the Belinda house), but doubt I'd ever really get used to it properly.

As a proper trackball user - rather than a user of the abortions you're describing, I can only say that if you sat and used a Trackman Marble for any length of time, you would be able to use it just fine. I can make even very tiny and precise movements with my trackballs, even using my right hand.
Trackballs are the only pointers I use on my own computers, and have been for over a decade.
Even with the staggering amount of time I've spent on computers over the years, I can't say that I have ever felt a hint of RSI.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks all, very interesting choices! Whatever device I get, I need to drastically reduce the load on my index finger; 90% of the problem is from overuse of the poor bugger.

I don't think I care for scroll wheels anymore; they add to the load on the index finger. Trackballs with buttons on the side look promising (Kensington Orbit, Logitech Marble, MS Trackball Explorer, etc.. So does the 3M Ego Mouse.

Bahngeist, I checked out the side mouse and felt it didn't reduce the load on my index finger, so I ruled it out.

The Zero Tension Mouse may work even though the left click is still on the index finger, because the hand is in a different position.

How about a touchpad?? It has scroll and click on the touchpad portion itself, and I should be able to use a-n-y- finger to use it.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I also only ever use trackballs with my own computers (except for a coupe of rarely-used systems) going back ... oh .... back to the strange and much-loved trackball-keyboard I had on my 286-10.

As someone who sometimes actually remembers to read posts before I reply to them, I might have noticed that I already said that the fine movements with those weirdo Logitech thumbballs are no problem, or at least that's what I would make of the phrase " thumbs learn to do the fine stuff quite quickly". The problem with them is that the contact surface of the ball is vertical where it needs to be horizontal. Much more natural and comfortable, and you can use wrist/elbow, which you can't with a thumbball.

Thumbballs are like the Opera browser, or French cars, or Wagner: very few people have neutral feelings about them: most people either love them or hate them. Me, I'm an exception. I don't hate them, I can use them perfectly OK if need be, but they are uncomfortable enough to make me prefer an orthodox mouse given a choice. And a proper trackball is miles better. We tried a couple of Logitech Red Terrors in the workshop for a while, but they weren't popular.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's best on toast with honey. (Yes: honey and vegamite, it's regarded as a strange combination, but I live on it. In general, I'd say it's good for you, though I must admit that the switch to a honey and vegamite diet very early in life was probably the primary cause of Tea's current rather eratic cerebral processing.)

Mercutio

Clearly this is an underused emoticon. Perfect for any discussion of Vegemite.

:hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:
:hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

ddrueding

Fixture
Let's see if we can make those of you with lesser video cards have your system...well, you know...

:hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

Sorry, this likely is close to abuse, but so is vegemite. And sorry to mubs, I really am immature.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I just want to say that I've never seen Tea so quiet before. She's been watching Dave's mega-post without moving a muscle for a good ten or fifteen minutes. I tried offering her some toast but she just reached out without looking and munched happily away, still staring at the screen. I suppose the fascination will wear off eventually.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs said:
Thanks all, very interesting choices! Whatever device I get, I need to drastically reduce the load on my index finger; 90% of the problem is from overuse of the poor bugger.

Mubs, have you considered the cheap solution of just switching the mouse buttons in software.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Howell said:
Mubs, have you considered the cheap solution of just switching the mouse buttons in software.
Yikes, I hadn't! That's a brilliant suggestion, Howell, thanks for mentioning it. I was thinking that all these "sex toys" could either be really great or a total bust, and the only way to find out, unfortunately, is to spend the money. Your suggestion could provide immediate relief plus allow me to cogitate a little more. Thanks, pal!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought you were rambling when drunk, DB, but I see that I was wrong. What will they think of next! That does seem like a useful device; would definitely keep circulation going. A tad expensive, though. Thanks!

tazwegion

Mercutio said:
Yes, but your people also like Vegemite.

I rest my case.

Perhaps... but it's one of the best treatments for mouth ulcers I know! ;) and whilst some Americans have compared the taste to fertilizer, they continue to drink root beer and eat peanut butter & jam (jelly) combinations :roll:

Don't know about mixing it with honey though Tannin :eekers:

>>On Topic

Mubs seeing as you've carpal tunnel/RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) issues... have you considered using a (gel) wrist supportive mousepad?

Mercutio

I like to think I know what mashed-up bugs would taste like, 'cause I had vegemite once.

Oddly enough, I ordered some Trackman Marble mice earlier in the week. My supplier shipped trackman vistas, those abortions that Tannin likes. They're in that annoying price range where it's stupid to send them back, yet also an unfortunate waste of my money. I suppose I'll have to Ebay them.

The stupid things don't even have wheels on them. What good are they?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
So sorry to get back on topic :(

I tried switching buttons as Howell suggested. Good for three quartes of a day, then back to square one.

So I've taken bahngeist's advice to heart and ordered the vertical rodent. Hopefully it will do for me what it did for him.

Thanks all.

ps: Mercutio, there's a container load of vegemite headed your way. That's to thank you for hijacking my thread. :D

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
This hijacking's not over just yet, mubs. :wink:

Handy, you once posted stats on how much each particular smiley had been used. Is it still possible to do so?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Sorry mubs!

But I still wanna know about the smileys!!