I do want to buy a used car

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
All the more amazing because it looks like that e-bike is electronically limited to ~100 mph. Despite that, it handily beat the Mustang.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Most of the Zero bikes are limited to 102mph, except the top one which is limited to 124mph. (These are artificial limits to assist in battery life and are not limits of the drive train).

Whilst it's common for most sports bikes to easily beat any car (seen footage of a tuned ZX-10R whip a lamborghini on the quarter mile), it only recently that electric bikes where capable of the same...

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Jtr, I know you had mentioned the difference in safety between smaller and larger vehicles when crashed together, I thought this video was a good demo of how small cars have gotten much safer over the years:

ddrueding

Fixture
Not a collision, just a friendly pull from a light. But I can understand where the confusion came from. And the rental did not go back unchanged; my buddy managed to crash the entire display system while we were underway (center and instrument) to the point where we had to pull over and hard-reset the whole system (holding down a series of buttons for a time until it triggered a reboot). To be fair, we were not being kind; pairing and unpairing multiple devices while simultaneously doing other things. And it never had a performance issue (autopilot did not disengage or fail to navigate).

That and someone splashed paint on the front bumper while it was in the valet parking. Yay for complete insurance.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
All the unnecessary computer crap in cars has gone too far and is too integrated.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
All the unnecessary computer crap in cars has gone too far and is too integrated.
And the sad thing is, infosec is so low priority that most modern cars can be car jacked remotely...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/20/tesla-model-s-chinese-hack-remote-control-brakes

While this is older article, things don't seem to have improved...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/tesla-car-hacked-at-pwn2own-contest/

PS. Not singling out Telsa specifically, all automakers are just as bad...

Oh... https://developers.slashdot.org/sto...-software-development-hub-for-autonomous-tech

LunarMist

I think much of the remote stuff requires cell service, but I may be wrong. Usually that can be disconnected or disabled as it requires some kind of cell plan to be activated. I read that the Telsa and some others want to require the driver to use a cell phone instead of an RFID key in some scheme.

LunarMist

And the sad thing is, infosec is so low priority that most modern cars can be car jacked remotely...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/20/tesla-model-s-chinese-hack-remote-control-brakes

While this is older article, things don't seem to have improved...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/tesla-car-hacked-at-pwn2own-contest/

PS. Not singling out Telsa specifically, all automakers are just as bad...

Oh... https://developers.slashdot.org/sto...-software-development-hub-for-autonomous-tech

502 Bad Gateway

ddrueding

Fixture
Also, they are trying to do more. The most basic of "fancy" things like adaptive cruise and remote start are still rare in the US. Want to remote start and set your climate control?

LunarMist

Adapting cruise control is all over the place in 2018+ cars, even in a cheap rental vehicle I had this year. So is remote start. The software doesn't lock up displays though. Telsa has been around a mere few years compared to the established makes like Toyota and Volkswagen group making 10 million units annually. Drivers should not be subject to dangerous beta software.

LunarMist

I wonder if it is like the Windows 10 plan, constantly trying to make updates whether you like it or not.

ddrueding

Fixture
So, I've now rented and lived with all 3 mainstream Tesla models for at least a few days. After that I've decided that I really want a Model 3 Performance. I proposed this to the wife, and she has talked me down to a used Model S. Probably a 90D with 40-50k miles. I drive 20k miles/year, so the financials pencil out well, and starting with one that already has some miles on it should soften the depreciation my kind of driving does to a vehicle.

LunarMist

Why, doesn't the sensor angle include enough in the vertical?

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
The Teslas use a combination of radar and optical cameras, they've chosen not to use Lidar (presumably for cost reasons). They've also chosen not to use eye tracking tech to monitor driver attention, unlike GM with their Super Cruise option. So driver attention is tracked via steering wheel input.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/teslas-autopilot-cheat-sheet/

Looks like the Tesla software gets confused when presented with a tractor trailor broadside, the optical cameras are basically blind to the white trailer against a bright sky, it sees it on radar, thinks its an overhead gantry type sign, and ignores it. They also apparently disable the radar input at overpasses to avoid false positive braking problems.

https://electrek.co/2016/07/01/understanding-fatal-tesla-accident-autopilot-nhtsa-probe/amp/

ddrueding

Fixture
Now that there basically isn't a waiting list, resale values are coming down considerably. The model I'm looking at retailed for $85k 3 years ago and is now basically 70% of that. Seems roughly in line with other luxury vehicles.

And I know that Tesla's feature set leads to more attention for this kind of thing, but "distracted driver crashes" shouldn't be newsworthy? A truck broadside should get your attention.

LunarMist

The Teslas use a combination of radar and optical cameras, they've chosen not to use Lidar (presumably for cost reasons). They've also chosen not to use eye tracking tech to monitor driver attention, unlike GM with their Super Cruise option. So driver attention is tracked via steering wheel input.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/teslas-autopilot-cheat-sheet/

Looks like the Tesla software gets confused when presented with a tractor trailor broadside, the optical cameras are basically blind to the white trailer against a bright sky, it sees it on radar, thinks its an overhead gantry type sign, and ignores it. They also apparently disable the radar input at overpasses to avoid false positive braking problems.

https://electrek.co/2016/07/01/understanding-fatal-tesla-accident-autopilot-nhtsa-probe/amp/

Does a Subaru also keep going or would it stop?

ddrueding

Fixture
I bought. It is quite used. 2016 Model S 90D. Had 53k miles, but every option. Under $50k.

I've had quick cars in the past, but this is a whole new level. You feel like Neo from The Matrix moving through traffic.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Sweet ride. As a college buddy used to say, "Does it go where you point it?"

ddrueding

Fixture
It goes, and as quickly as you like. Cars I've had in the past were fast, but only if you made the right preparations; downshift, put into sport mode, enable launch control, etc. This one is as fast as those but without the prep; as soon as you press your right foot. No clutch or torque converter to engage, no need to get higher in the rev range. It just goes, any time you like.

ddrueding

Fixture
...and it looks like this car will not be getting a spot in the garage. And I'm not good at cleaning/maintaining this kind of thing. Did someone here do a ceramic coating of some kind at one point? Stereodude?

I'm interested in suggestions for helping maintain the paint (don't care about looking clean, just don't want to damage it) in my next two-ish years of ownership. Wrap? Plasti-dip? A cover is too much recurring work.

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't bother with ceramic coatings. I did wrap the entire front of my car in Expel ultimate and it was worth the cost. I'm about 50K miles in and I can see how it has protected the front from years of abuse. I now just do basic wash, clay, wash, wax and things are fine. Maybe every other year I use my Flex polisher to correct any paint swirls if needed.

LunarMist

Considering it is already a used car with miles and how David drives, the question is how much it is worth in end value vs. how it looks/feels for daily driving. Back when I cared about that sort of thing, I would get some kind of coating done and then then some guys doing waxing or something with hand tools every couple of moths. It wasn't economical, but I had a nice car.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I more or less agree with Lunar (gasp!). Regular application of wax is by far your best protection - that's what most manufacturers recommend.

Here, one of the risks is poop from giant bats. It's highly acidic and eats through all the layers of paint. Wax gives you time to wash it off before that happens. Yes, I have inadvertently conducted some research on this ...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
We've had various discussions on low profile tires before - and of course Tesla - so I was fascinated with this personal experience from Engineering Explained:

Coincidentally, we just hit and mounted a sharp-edged 9" concrete island (overwrought learner driver) and destroyed a new 50-series tire (but not the wheel) as well as a washer pump motor. All up including wheel alignment, cost about AU$350, or US$215.