Hypothetical New PC

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I originally mentioned this in my Windows 8 on early Pentium 4 topic but...

How cheap do you think I could get an i3 based system for?

I looked on Newegg... I'm actually leaning more toward an A8-5600K.

Attractive price, considering my almost nonexistent budget. I don't currently have this "money" you guys mention all the time, but I am going to see about getting a summer job. In my state, you can apparently get a job at 15. I always thought the earliest one could start working legally in the US was at 16, and not a day younger.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Okay, following Chewy's advise, I will put a hypothetical price bracket on for size. Let's say I have about $450 to spend on a box. Would an A8 be a good choice? Would I have enough left over to put a half decent SSD in there so I don't die waiting for Windows or whatever else to boot? Also, for a decent monitor, how far would I be going over the aforementioned budget? I'll live with only having 4 GB RAM if I have to - I just need to make sure I leave half my DIMM slots open so I can upgrade when I can. The integrated Radeon 7560D seems nice, but if it goes through system RAM it's a deal breaker - - I'll probably still go with the A8, but I'll end up dropping in a discrete GPU.

Just saw a 5-star combo or whatever it is, a bunch of stuff including APU, mobo, HDD, PSU, and case, and it's price was a whopping $353. That's including 8 GB RAM. Drop the HDD off and put a decent ssd in there and I'll make a note of that when I have the money.

ddrueding

Fixture
Merc is typically the man for the super-cheap solid builds, and I suspect he will still steer you towards an i3. I'd probably look for a hybrid drive over an SSD if there was budget for it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You could do worse than a Lenovo TS140 for 384$ (without the hard drive). It has a quad-core Xeon E3-1225v3 (Haswell). Just 4GB of RAM, but it's still enough to install a modern OS and run a few applications. All you need to add is a hard drive.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Also, for a decent monitor, how far would I be going over the aforementioned budget?
What are you using now for monitor? I'm asking because unless it's a CRT, most monitors which are less than about a decade old aren't much worse than most of what you can buy nowadays on a small budget. Until recently when 4K monitors started appearing, I didn't see any compelling reason at all to think about buying a new monitor. The ones I'm using ( LG L2010P 20" 1600x1200 and ViewEra V192SD 1280x1024 ) are more than adequate for now. Anything newer wouldn't offer more vertical pixels, at least in any size I could afford which would also fit on my desk. When 4K monitors in 23 or 24 inch size get under about $250, I'll start thinking about buying a new monitor. If money wasn't a concern, I would buy this right now. Then again, maybe they'll have 4K OLED monitors in the not too distant future.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
What are you using now for monitor?

I am using a scratched-to-crap Dell SE198WFP 19". Max res is 1440x900. Of course, I mainly use the laptop, as it's more powerful than the rinky-dink old Pentium 4. It's display is at 1366x768. Good enough for what I do, but I don't like buying things that aren't future proof. Also, as I said, the SE198WFP is really scratched, though you can still see what you're doing.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
i3-3220
4GB Crucial DDR3
120GB Kingston SSD
Foxconn H61 ITX motherboard
ITX chassis + PSU

$350

That's more or less the exact PC I'm building for office systems right now. It's a modest machine and I'd prefer a nicer motherboard (Gigabyte or Asus H77, maybe, but those are twice as expensive) AND a better chassis/PSU, but that machine ranks very highly in terms of price and performance. You could move up some with the motherboard in mATX (probably still H61) but there's no $50 mATX case with included power supply that I'd actually be happy getting.