HP agrees with Tannin, Merc, et. al.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Dell already has a similar program. I have no idea why. Dell Whiteboxes are more expensive than regular whiteboxes and you're essentially responsible for support (Dell gives you a special support site you can visit).

That HP is doing the same thing just says that they're trying to get greedy with the ~34% of the market that's going to unbranded equipment (which I'm sure they'll then claim is part of HP's marketshare).

It's ridiculous. Really.

bahngeist

What is this storage?
... That HP is doing the same thing just says that they're trying to get greedy with the ~34% of the market that's going to unbranded equipment (which I'm sure they'll then claim is part of HP's marketshare).

It's ridiculous. Really.

Greedy yes; ridiculous -- not really. It's actually an excellent business plan in that HP is able to penetrate a market not traditionally theirs; provides a conduit for pushing primary through tertiary proprietary parts/components; and it minimizes their support footprint.

Whether it is accepted and flies is another story altogether.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I was trying to point out that the reason HP is doing this is because the mom-pop types account for a big chunk of the market. Because they offer faster, better service that the big guys can't match. Wasn't this point debated at length with y'all on one side and Mr. H. Dell on the other?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
And who is going to buy this crap? Independant PC industry people are, on the whole, fairly smart - it's a tough industry and you don't survive by buying over-priced, unreliable and under-performing junk.

HP are dreaming. What a joke.