How to use a wireless router as a bridge?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
So my colleague has some devices that need a wired ethernet connection. But they are way far from his cable modem/wireless router. So he was thinking of using another wireless router in client mode to connect to the main wireless router via wireless.

Is this possible with any router? Or do you need something like a WRT54G with the tomato firmware? I have an old netgear he could use.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
dd-WRT will do it, or you can buy a stupidly expensive 802.11 to ethernet bridge.
Most routers don't have the firmware set up to allow this, though their hardware is certainly capable of doing so.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I was going to suggest Powerline for Ethernet over the power cables but I see Netgear has upped the options. This kit contains a Powerline base station and a Powerline WAP to extend WiFi to anywhere reachable by the Powerline.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was going to suggest Powerline for Ethernet over the power cables but I see Netgear has upped the options. This kit contains a Powerline base station and a Powerline WAP to extend WiFi to anywhere reachable by the Powerline.

OT:
I just noticed that Netgear has a Coax-ethernet adaper that supports up to 270Mbps. Has anyone ever used this type of adapter before?

It looks like an interesting idea to replace my terribly slow 802.11n network.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
OT:
I just noticed that Netgear has a Coax-ethernet adaper that supports up to 270Mbps. Has anyone ever used this type of adapter before?
It looks like it uses MoCA, which the same standard that Verizon uses to distribute FiOS on premises.

Handruin

Administrator
OT:

It looks like an interesting idea to replace my terribly slow 802.11n network.

Engadget has a simple review on it here.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
So my colleague has some devices that need a wired ethernet connection. But they are way far from his cable modem/wireless router. So he was thinking of using another wireless router in client mode to connect to the main wireless router via wireless.

Is this possible with any router? Or do you need something like a WRT54G with the tomato firmware? I have an old netgear he could use.

I've just come up with a similar situation, phone points are too far from the main office area (in a private home), so have to weigh up the cost of:

a. Get a professional cabler to install another point in the home office to get the ADSL into the office so can just use an existing wired ADSL router.

b. Find 2x wireless routers (one with ADSL modem) that the second can act as a client to the first. The second router needs 3x ethernet ports for 2x PCs and a printer.

c. Buy a wireless router, an expensive AP and a 4port switch?

d. Buy a wireless router, and 3 wireless NICs and/or 3x APs.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I've just come up with a similar situation, phone points are too far from the main office area (in a private home), so have to weigh up the cost of:

a. Get a professional cabler to install another point in the home office to get the ADSL into the office so can just use an existing wired ADSL router.

b. Find 2x wireless routers (one with ADSL modem) that the second can act as a client to the first. The second router needs 3x ethernet ports for 2x PCs and a printer.

c. Buy a wireless router, an expensive AP and a 4port switch?

d. Buy a wireless router, and 3 wireless NICs and/or 3x APs.

We decided to go option a, as it was the easiest/cheapest option...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
No, not until years later when I worked with Token Ring. You?
Me too. I had no idea what that thing was till a mentor kindly explained. This was in the early days of my networking experience. I started out as a business apps guy, then messed with minicomputer OSes, then with networking and HW. It has been an interesting journey!

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Token ring using baluns .. I remember that. I also remember using baluns for twinax cabling (for terminals, printers, and PCs with emulation cards) to convert daisy chaining to star topologies. Actually I had twinax in use for console cabling as recently as 2005. Everything else was remote/Ethernet but the console. Since then, though, it's been 100% Ethernet.