How to make mp3 from the auxiliaire in signal?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I thought about creating a dummy member just to write that thread because the answer should be so basic it's a shame I don't figure it out by myself. Shut up, stop laughing. I'm tired and occupied on something else these days, so my mind isn't free for computer stuff.

So, here we go. Someone I know wants to create an audio CD with the songs he has on a tape cassette. It's no problem to listen to the cassette on the computer speakers (aux out of the cassette reader to aux in of the sound card, bingo). However, all the riping programs I know (mainly RasorLAME and EAC) only ripe songs from the CD-ROM reader, not from the aux in of the sound card.

I'm sure it's simple, but I need a how-to. And stop laughing, it ain't funny.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
I thought about creating a dummy member just to write that thread because the answer should be so basic it's a shame I don't figure it out by myself. Shut up, stop laughing. I'm tired and occupied on something else these days, so my mind isn't free for computer stuff.

So, here we go. Someone I know wants to create an audio CD with the songs he has on a tape cassette. It's no problem to listen to the cassette on the computer speakers (aux out of the cassette reader to aux in of the sound card, bingo). However, all the riping programs I know (mainly RasorLAME and EAC) only ripe songs from the CD-ROM reader, not from the aux in of the sound card.

I'm sure it's simple, but I need a how-to. And stop laughing, it ain't funny.

Just grab some type of WAV recorder, or use the one built into windows to record from auxiliary in. I don't know if it's still around or not, but check out goldwave. I use soundforge for this task, if you have that then it should work great. I've done exactly as you mentioned above by piping my tape player into the AUX in, and set windows to record using this input.

There is no ripping involved, expect hiss and other artifacts in the music, unless you have a very nice cassette deck. (I didn't have a great one)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tape deck to aux in on the soundcard. Use one of a hundred sound recorders. The scratchy noises from tapes can be cleaned in most audio editing tools. Some even have "wizard-based" auto-cleaners.

I think the Live! MP3 has software to handle that. Personally I use Goldwave. I'm sure there are other packages.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks guys. I'll see what I can do with Goldwave. Unfortunately, the sound card in that computer isn't a Live!, so I don't have the Creative software to record from aux in.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm almost positive there are better programs out there than goldwave - which likes to use a temp file VERY heavily - but I'll bet if you look there are a couple of packages designed to clean up analog recordings.