How to configure a slave router with no access to LAN?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
So I got this eye-fi card with that google promotion ($50 for 200GB of space on picasaweb and a free eye-fi 4GB card). But it doesn't support WPA2 with preshared key. When I called they said I had to use WPA2 Personal. There is no setting for that on my router (Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D that came with FIOS). So I hooked my old netgear B only router up as a slave router of sorts. The WAN on it is hooked up to a LAN port on the main router. I set it to be WEP and have a password and to restrict by mac address. Then I let the eye-fi card connect to it. No problems so far. Now I want to restrict access on the netgear router. I don't want it to be able to access other computers on my LAN. I want it to be it's own little island connected to the internet.

So how do I do that?

Stereodude

Not really a
Can't you do that by setting a different non-routable IP block on the Netgear?

IE: Plug the WAN port on your Netgear into the LAN side of your Actiontec. Configure the Netgear to pass out 10.1.1.x (or similar) to anyone who connects to it via DHCP (assuming you're using 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 or 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 on your Actiontec). Then have it use DHCP to get an IP address from your Actiontec.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Apparently not to eye-fi.

So it turns out the eye-fi cards don't like WPA2-PSK (pre shared key). They want you to use WPA2-Personal where you have to use an 8 - 63 character passphrase rather than a 64 character hex key. Once I figured out how to enable that on my router, everything is fine. No two routers.

The difference in the setup screen on the router is just a dropdown box next to the key you enter which has two choices: HEX or ASCII. If you enter a passphrase, you pick ASCII. If you are entering a key, you pick HEX and it requires you to enter 64 characters. I always wondered why I had to pad the hex string I entered to make it 64 characters.