How spammers *should* be handled

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Driving strips of wood under their finger nails first, then beat them to death sounds even better. :evil:

Bozo :mrgrn:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I think I mentioned this another time, maybe here or at the other place: strip them down to their under-garments, fill them full of their favorite alcohol, afterward let them spend some quiet time on a nice frigid glacier. After 20 minutes of losing body heat faster than the three-pointed star on my hood would be lost in Compton, let out the hungry polar bears for a little feast.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
PS: Nice link Steve. It's a shame that someone died because of something as insignificant as spam. Although it wasn't the spam as much as it was the person's arrogant, immodest and unreasonable attitude that put them in hot water with the local enforcers.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
How about cutting up spammers and placing them in small cans to be marketted to the US military as the next generation of infinite shelf-life meat product.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
[/quote]How about cutting up spammers and placing them in small cans to be marketted to the US military as the next generation of infinite shelf-life meat product
Soylent Green?

Besides, what do you have against the US millitary?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just have them pay for the rest of their lives, our Trendmicro bills....or NOD32.

Dieing over spam is a bit extreme. However, I know other people that have had blatant disregard for the law, and get away with it all the time, due to either buying the police, or police policy not to address certain issues, etc.

While I don't advocate beating them to death, I certainly understand the feeling of hostility, and frustration, when someone blatantly violates laws, and gets away with it, destroying others properties, and endangering others lives.

s

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There was a segment of US DOJ that floated the idea of deporting the kid that wrote Sasser to the US to face the death penalty. No kidding.

I guess $14 billion in estimated damages is a big deal to some people.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's funny how people don't get the basis of our legal system:
People over property. The French/Louisiana/English often put property over people.

It's really odd that the DOJ guys would consider that. Wonder if it's spam?

It's funny that the Enron execs, and other corporation heads allow damage that is equal or excessive to that, yet they are still scott free.

Ford execs and bean counters, actually approved defective products, that killed people, and refused to change the design, until the tort system forced them too. It's really sad that they aren't up on murder charges. If corporate execs were responsible for the death of consumers, it might provide better designs, better self testing, and, having recently been almost killed by Vioxx/Celebrex, I can certainly relate.

Perhaps using an industry standard guideline to prosecute execs that approve sub industry standard products, in criminal, rather then civil court, might be a better solution.

s

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
In somewhat related news someone (or more than one person it looks like) used a script on my website to spam a bunch of people @aol.

I'm still not sure how they did it as the script is hard coded to only accept the body of an e-mail and the to: field is specified in the scipt, not passed from a form... most be something about the way the e-mail message is sent.

While my script only allows sending messages so quickly, they sent to several hundred addresses each time. Each mail appearing to come from my domain.

In any event I changed the script name as well as some of the administration password etc. I also used a .htaccess file to ban their IP. They will now see the following page if they try to send from my server again.

http://anime-jennie.com/403.html

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
There was a segment of US DOJ that floated the idea of deporting the kid that wrote Sasser to the US to face the death penalty. No kidding.
That doesn't surprise me coming from a nation that wishes to apply punishment (for war crimes) on an individual whom they've held for 7 years (without charging), but recall without incident troops found to have mistreated Iraqi prisoners :roll:

I'm just cynical! :p

Pity about the spammer though... should've had a dose of his own medicine & then a technology ban applied ;)

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:

That doesn't surprise me coming from a nation that wishes to apply punishment (for war crimes) on an individual whom they've held for 7 years (without charging), but recall without incident troops found to have mistreated Iraqi prisoners :roll:

I'm just cynical! :p

Pity about the spammer though... should've had a dose of his own medicine & then a technology ban applied ;)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Mercutio said:

I guess $14 billion in estimated damages is a big deal to some people.

So when are they going to prosecute the guy responsible for the code that was so effing incompetently secured that a kid could break it. And does he get the death penalty?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
So when are they going to prosecute the guy responsible for the code that was so effing incompetently secured that a kid could break it. And does he get the death penalty?
Hear, hear! Exactly how I felt about it at the time. Not only that, all those billion-dollar corporations that didn't apply patches released weeks earlier, who then cried foul when they were compromised. Gimme a break.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
When we got hit with the Blaster worm 2 summers ago, my company's IT department didn't have the systems patched up and they had everyone's systems locked down with no administrative privileges. It would be almost an entire week before they could get us back up and running again. I asked if they could just give me administrator privileges and I could fix my own PC. They refused. Too bad, because I could have had my whole floor up and running in a few hours, and I know there's probably a PC enthusiast like me on every floor... collectively, we could have fixed the company's computers in one afternoon.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Our company was in the same boat. The IT computers were crashing and rebooting themselves, but IT wanted no help from the process control group. The process control computers had been patched long before the outbreak. :D It took a few days to get everything fixed on their end.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
While all our systems were fine, as a support center we took a big hit because of the problems with other computers and networks in general that were not designed for the traffic that occured following the outbreak.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, that's certainly great news, especially since this guy seems like a greedy pig. The article said he was making $500,000 a year in the 1980s with insurance. I could probably retire after a few years with that kind of income yet he had to be greedy and make even more money with spam. I'm glad he's out of business-hopefully for good. Problem is there's lots of others still out there. What part of "we don't want this crap in our inbox" do these spammers not understand?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
jtr1962 said:
I'm glad he's out of business-hopefully for good.

All they did was took his equipment. He can easily buy a couple PC's and be back up and running soon.

Problem is there's lots of others still out there. What part of "we don't want this crap in our inbox" do these spammers not understand?

It's like drugs and prostitution. Most people don't want it, but someone always does and is willing to pay good money for it. As long as the demand is there, there is money to be made by procuring the supply. And if there is money to be made, you know people will come running just like they did when someone found gold in them there hills.

It it's not Ralsky, it would be someone else. You have your fellow Internet users to blame for spam. If people didn't click on those links and load the webpages of Ralsky and his peers' clients, UCE would be considered an ineffective advertising tool. But because people DO click on those links and load up those webpages, UCE remains an effective advertising medium.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
"Your dick is not only for pissing!"

That's the title of one I received today. I didn't know spammers were into educating dumb fools like me. Reminds me of one of those "Height of" jokes that were popular eons ago when I was in high school.

"What's the height of innocence?"
"A pregnant girl rubbing Ben-Gay on her belly".