HOW BIG A DRIVE FOR A PAGE FILE DRIVE?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi

Wondering if a 16 gig or 32 gig, or more would be a nice SSD addition for a page file drive, and, browser cache drive?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yes. I've had the page file on the C: drive (X25-E) since 2008. Even when the second OS is booted from the relatively slow X25-M G2, the pagefile is on that X25-E.
Do you have 8-12 GB of RAM?

LunarMist

Regarding size, I find 2GB is enough for the pagefile. There is no point in getting a SSD smaller than 30GB, and some of the smaller MLC SSDs are slower than their larger counterparts.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't believe you will see any difference at all if you have a decent amount of system memory say 4+ GB.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
2 GIG OF RAM IS ALL 2003 WEB 32 BIT WILL SEE. Motherboard will take 12 gigs.

I do have a 64 bit version of XP, but, there is some reason, hardware wise, maybe, it won't work with this setup?

LunarMist

32-bit Windows can use 3GB or >3GB with PAE, though it is limited by occupied hardware addresses to 3-3.6GB in most cases. There is usually a 2GB limit per process, excepting the few apps that work properly with /3.

XP64 requires a 64-bit system, which you will have to look into, as well as drivers for hardware. I recall that in days gone by AMD was way ahead of Intel in the 64-bit hardware, so you may be out of luck.

theSwede

What is this storage?
32-bit Windows can use 3GB or >3GB with PAE, though it is limited by occupied hardware addresses to 3-3.6GB in most cases. There is usually a 2GB limit per process, excepting the few apps that work properly with /3.

XP64 requires a 64-bit system, which you will have to look into, as well as drivers for hardware. I recall that in days gone by AMD was way ahead of Intel in the 64-bit hardware, so you may be out of luck.

The web edition of 32 bit 2003 server is artificially limited to 2Gb of physical memory.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I still don't think of 2GB RAM as a limitation, either. The only time I get close to that amount on my machines is when I'm running a high-end game plus Firefox with 100 open tabs.