Hitachi Data Systems to spin of storage division

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The normal price is $250 from conducting a few searches.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Whilst we wait for that, something available sooner:

"The new Ultrastar SSD400S family delivers the industry’s highest sequential throughput. It is the first to reach up to 535MB/s read and 500MB/s write throughput with 6Gb/s SAS, and 390MB/s read and 340MB/s write throughput with 4Gb/s FC. The new drive also delivers up to 46 000 read and 13 000 sustained write IOPS"

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storag...hi_Releases_Its_First_Solid_State_Drives.html

Handruin

Administrator
That is a price that fits the "too good to be true category". Note they are out of stock which I suspect will never be in stock at least at that price.

It also falls into the..."fell off the back of the truck category" (possibly literally).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
From time to time I have benefited from things that have fallen off the back of a truck. It's been a good, long while, but it has happened.

Anyway, if somebody wants to go halfies on a case of 3TB drives, I'll get in on that.

Handruin

Administrator

"The new Ultrastar SSD400S family delivers the industry’s highest sequential throughput. It is the first to reach up to 535MB/s read and 500MB/s write throughput with 6Gb/s SAS, and 390MB/s read and 340MB/s write throughput with 4Gb/s FC. The new drive also delivers up to 46 000 read and 13 000 sustained write IOPS"

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storag...hi_Releases_Its_First_Solid_State_Drives.html

This seems strange to me:

The drives are based on single-level cell (SLC) NAND flash memory produced using 34nm process technology at IM Flash and is powered by controllers developed by Intel.

Why would Intel develop the controller for a competitor that offers a faster product than their own? Does that info give some insight into the next gen Intel SSD drives?

Mercutio

Why would Intel develop the controller for a competitor that offers a faster product than their own? Does that info give some insight into the next gen Intel SSD drives?

Maybe the other guys are just faster at getting products into the retail channel, or Intel is practicing strict adherence to a roadmap in defiance of engineering or manufacturing realities?

LunarMist

I posted about that in the SSD thread. :)

LunarMist

I was thinking perhaps some type of bridge broad (e.g., USB 3.0) that circumvents the evil 2TB drive limit would be nice.

LunarMist

Maybe I'm not being clear or not understanding. Is there something that can be done in the PHY instead or with a specific combination?

LunarMist

Even with the typo, how is that dirty? Maybe mildy derogatory, but not more.

Handruin

Administrator
Oh my! I was expecting them to be around the $299 range, not $681/per drive. Thanks for emailing them and finding out the scoop.

Handruin

Administrator
I think there is still Toshiba and Fujitsu but I don't know many who still use them.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
An odd couple indeed. This is a marriage between a marketing machine and an engineering shop, with the marketers calling all the shots. Just looking up specs highlights how opposite are the corporate cultures: Hitachi (née IBM) publishes just about every parameter you could wish for, while with WD you can't even find out how fast the platters spin, and a model number alone may not be enough to identify a specific model. :(

The fact that HitachiGST product releases in the last couple of years have been increasingly behind the curve suggests they've been saving pennies in anticipation. Apart from enterprise cred, can anyone work out what WD gets out of this? It's hard to see any of the Deskstar or Travelstar models continuing; even the famous 5-platter version isn't necessary when your areal density is high enough. :(

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Maybe this is a good thing and new WD drives won't suck?

I think WD gets bigger as a player to compete better with Seagate. I hope this will increase their design capability and manufacturing quality.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
IBM (Hitachi) and WD have been in bed with each other for a long time.
WD and Hitachi both had 5 pin molex connectors on their SATA drives for a while. Along with a SATA power connection.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
There goes the neighborhood.

When is that next gen of SSDs due out? You know, the ones not by the spinning disk manufacturers....

LunarMist

Maybe this is a good thing and new WD drives won't suck?

I think WD gets bigger as a player to compete better with Seagate. I hope this will increase their design capability and manufacturing quality.

Seagate sucks anyways, and Samsung is always behind the technology curve. Elimination of Hibachi will increase prices and slow down hard drive improvements due to lack of competition. I wonder if WD will retain the 5-platter mechanism. :crucified:

ddrueding

Fixture
Certainly a great price. 3TB drives do still have issues with some controllers, and all RAID controllers. IIRC, you don't use RAID, and you use newer Intel chipset boards, so you should be fine.

LunarMist

Certainly a great price. 3TB drives do still have issues with some controllers, and all RAID controllers. IIRC, you don't use RAID, and you use newer Intel chipset boards, so you should be fine.

I would be using RAID controllers and some overlays I guess, but no RAID modes. Does USB 3.0 work with those drives?

ddrueding

Fixture
I've run 3TB drives on USB without issue, though not those exact drives. I have yet to hear of any RAID controllers that correctly identify and work with 3TB drives of any kind. I would be very cautious in that aspect.

Mercutio

I don't think the 5400rpm drives are reliable enough for general use. I think they're made from manufacturing rejects or something, based on the staggering failure rates I've had with them across Seagate, Hitachi and Samsung models. I should not have to RMA 20% of any model of drive I buy, but all of them are at that level.