help me find a piece of software... testing LAN speed.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I am looking for a network bandwidth tester basically...

I once had a command line tool that would test the bandwidth from one computer to another on a LAN using randomly generated data... this meant that one could easily test the network speed without fear of interfearence from the rest of the computer. This software ran on win9x and NT/2k/XP... and probably even DOS.

Does anybody know the tool I'm talking about or another tool I can use to test the bandwidth on my LAN

thanks

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
btw, I dont want to test the speed using something like SMB or windows shares.. because this would too heavily rely on the server and the implementation of the SMB server/client programs...

I want to test the speed of two Intel Pro 1000 T Server Adapters that seem to currently max out at ~27-30MB/sec when transfering data to/from the hard drive.... so, i want to get away from using the HDD because they may be the botteleck.

cas

Learning Storage Performance
I have written such a piece of software. It's crude, but it should do what you request.

I have an engagement this morning, but I will dig it out for you tonight.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i found netperf after alot (alot of searching) it seems to do what I was looking for...

Didn't someone say that if you cant find something after 1 hour of searching the internet you should just give up?

That's why forums are great... distributed searching...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd be interested in your utility if you still want to post it somewhere, Cas.

TIA.