Headphones and static discharge

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
So I got a new PC at work. SSD, new dock, new ac adaptor.
I have a radioshack headphone extension cable that runs across the desk. Then I plug my headphones (cheap philips pair of in-ear SHE2642). The head phone extension plugs into the dock. Computer is Dell Lattitude E6420.

Works fine, except when I move my chair. I get feedback in the headphones. This didn't happen before. I can't always make it happen either. I'm guessing it is some static discharge or something.

Also of note is the AC adaptor makes audible noise. But I checked somebody else's one and it makes the same noise. Sounds like faint hard drive noises.

How can I avoid this feedback? Maybe I'll try plugging into the laptop and not the dock for a while and see if I get the feedback. However when plugging into the laptop the volume level is much higher.

Handruin

Administrator
Maybe adding a ferrite core might help? If you have any floating around at home, try putting one on each end of the cable to see if it absorbs any of the EMI. It may not help, but just offering an idea.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Is it possible the cord or input jack is damaged? It could be that the way it cord was positioned before did not allow the chair movement to flex the cable. Do you get the same results if you are just standing and moving as opposed to rolling?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Chair doesn't have to move for it to happen. Body movement can trigger it. But I can't make it happen on demand.

The headphone extension cord is pretty heavy duty so I don't think it was damaged.
The philips headphone cords are wimpy and I guess they could be damaged. But I have the extension so I'm not pulling on them and also because the jack is too far away.
Maybe I should try other headphones.

I have no idea how to check the ground. I don't think I have a voltmeter.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Several podcasts I listen to have had mentions of static in their earphones shocking them in the ear during the show. It's made for some interesting listening with sudden cursing tourettes style.

Wear an anti static wrist strap?
Go with a wireless headphone setup?
Ground your chair and thus yourself somehow?

ddrueding

Fixture
If the electricity is going into your head, I don't think that encouraging it to pass through your body by grounding you/your chair is the right direction to go.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Interesting point but electricity should not be going into his head. If so it isn't a static problem. Is there even exposed metal on the headphones?

ddrueding

Fixture
I was just going back to the podcast/shocking reference above. There should be no electricity to the head, and there is likely not any uninsulated metal in the headphones.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
BTW, ESD straps done correctly have a huge resistor inline so that you can't ground and kill yourself by hitting voltage somewhere.