question HDD thermal management (keeping your cool)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think I could put a price on being comfortable. Well, I probably could, but it would be really high.

I have three cats. There's only one management company locally that will allow me to keep all of them. No apartments in my area that offer central air allow any pets at all, and all of those are luxury places with much higher rent anyway.

My father's hobby is home improvement. There wasn't a single day that I lived in their home that some part of the house wasn't torn apart. I spent three years showering in a basement laundry room 'cause my dad decided to tear out all the other bathrooms at once. Between that and yard work and property taxes and all the other bullshit that goes along with having a home, I'd rather just let someone else take care of everything even if that means sweating in the summertime.

So anyway, home ownership basically doesn't start to pay off until you've lived in the same house for quite a long time, ten or 15 years I think. I'm not planning to stay here that long, nor do I want any roots to tie me to this place, so buying would be a poor decision on my part. Especially when one in five homeowners in this country presently owes more on a home than it's worth.

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
Thanks time, that was an interesting article/demonstration you linked us to there! ;)

Bozo said:
What!!! No LEDs???

LEDs & case lighting products are generally considered to be out of fashion (purely functional is the new black) :p

1. My car is financed at 1.9%. I would kill for a mortgage rate that low.
2. Buying a house with a large mortgage is effectively playing a financial market with tons of leverage. We all know how well that turns out.
3. Rent on a place is considerably cheaper than a mortgage on the same place. I bet that even in this market the balance of that money in the market could offer better returns.

Oh okay, things must be a little different there... generally speaking our "personal loans" such as car finance are higher than the variable home loan rate, thus equity finance is a bonus, also our current mortgage repayments would barely get a house of necessary.

What I meant by "dead money" was you'll never see that cash again but if you were paying off a home at least at the end of the process you'll own a home whereas renting for the same period leaves you with... well nothing ;)

Oh - 73F today ;)

How unfair :p

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
also our current mortgage repayments would barely get a house of necessary.
Well considering the average house price in Brisbane is approaching 7-8 times the average wage (for a single white-collar professional), buying is becoming a rare dream for many.

Last I heard average price was just over $530K, with median earnings around $70-90K depending on field of work. (Australian average income is now around $70K for white-collar professionals).

In perspective (just running a loan calculator), to borrow $530K @ 7.81% variable would see an expected monthly repayment of $3800 per month for a 30yr loan. For someone on $90K per year, monthly take home (after income tax) would be around $5,000 per month, leaving less than $1,200 per month for all other expenses, including utilities, rates (land tax), running a car(s), insurance, food, clothing and any other expenses. now factor in, 1 parent working, 1 staying at home to look after the 2 kids, and you don't have a lot left over. (especially if kids are school age).

Now in contrast, average rent is around $1600 per month... (Where we live average house price is $420K, but we are nearly 50km from Brisbane, and rent is around $1500 per month on average).

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks time, that was an interesting article/demonstration you linked us to there! ;)

LEDs & case lighting products are generally considered to be out of fashion (purely functional is the new black) :p

On their web site they have the same fan with LEDs. :cheers:

tazwegion

On their web site they have the same fan with LEDs. :cheers:

I didn't say you couldn't get them, just that they seem to be less popular than they once were :)

Well considering the average house price in Brisbane is approaching 7-8 times the average wage (for a single white-collar professional), buying is becoming a rare dream for many.

[snip]

Now in contrast, average rent is around $1600 per month... (Where we live average house price is $420K, but we are nearly 50km from Brisbane, and rent is around $1500 per month on average).

I'm talking from a regional perspective, but with those figures you can see why Parliamentarians are commenting how people on 90K+ are doing it hard, house prices down here range from around $200,000 upwards obviously the further out you go from major civic centres the better the price (but with a whole lot more traveling) ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
Some math regarding homes as an investment. My mortgage payment is $2000/mo, and I could have rented this house for $1200/mo. $800/mo is $9600/yr for 30 years is $288,000. That is the pessimistic side of what I have anticipated to earn, but it without the saved money doing any work. If you think you can manage a 5% return (even in this market that isn't too hard), you have made $668,581. There is no way my house will be worth the nearly $1,000,000 that it would have to for the purchase to make sense financially.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As a rule of thumb, an investment in an NYSE index fund returns around 7% annually (yes, yes, plus minus and it's by no means guaranteed). At that rate you can figure that your investment will double in value in approximately ten years' time, though its real value after inflation is another story.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I didn't say you couldn't get them, just that they seem to be less popular than they once were :)

I'm just funnin' with you. :-D

I do put led fans into computers at work. I connect them to the motherboard fan outputs so they blink. :-D I also put psychedelic desk tops on the computers. Or Muppet characters. It adds a little levity to the place. [I was a teenager during the 1960's-can't you tell?]

tazwegion

As a rule of thumb, an investment in an NYSE index fund returns around 7% annually (yes, yes, plus minus and it's by no means guaranteed).

While that is true, the age old adage of "as safe as houses" stems from the financial market's potential ability to significantly devalue savings/shares should it crash thus I've diverted my disposable income (as little as it is) back into my mortgage rather than my Superannuation which whilst being hit with multiple Federal taxes is relatively at the mercy of the financial market (lost 10% of gross in the last 2008 crash) :(

I'm just funnin' with you. :-D

I do put led fans into computers at work. I connect them to the motherboard fan outputs so they blink. :-D I also put psychedelic desk tops on the computers. Or Muppet characters. It adds a little levity to the place. [I was a teenager during the 1960's-can't you tell?]

Actually now that you mention it... yeah, I don't dislike coloured LED illumination (I still have some in my cases) I just don't see it anywhere near as commonly as I once did back during the mid 2000's, blinged up memory heat spreaders seem to remained popular though ;)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Australian superannuation is the biggest Ponzi scheme on the planet, closely followed by Australian housing.

You're screwed both ways, but I agree, the Super is especially toxic.