HDD Guide, check it out and give me your opinions

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Looking good, Your Grace. Your layout and choice of illustrationz is excellent. Not sure about "lost sales" though - every time someone breaks a hard drive, someone else gets to sell a new one! But an excellent start.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
good point tea.

Yes, good start... but keep in mind this is not even a completed rough draft as of yet. I haven't really started writing anything past section 3... all I have are some rough brainstorming notes...

J-Frog

What is this storage?
Very nice. Your guide will be helpful to many people, and should get you a good grade :D .

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
heh, we just finished our group projects and I still have another month till this project is due... We did very well on our presentation today and I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Handruin

Administrator
Nice job with the guide. Let us know how you do on the project!

Handruin

Administrator
I gotta laugh at this one: (not at your image, but a relation to it)

stack2.jpg

Makes me think of all the 1.6 inch 36GB cheetahs drives stacked in the cabinet at work... they still work though

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
well...

I have gotten an A on the project proposal, an A on the presentation, an A on my status report, now all that needs to be graded is my self analysis and the content of my project (50% of grade).

I hope the pattern continues...

I put the site on CD-ROM incase it happens to go down, and I made a neat auto-run menu for the CD that has links to all the documents that were created for the final project and a link to the copy of the site that I burned to the CD.

hopefully I will get some boku points.

Handruin

Administrator
blakerwry said:
heh, by looking at those drives can you tell what kind they are? I bet tannin could pick out 1 for sure....

Looks like:

maxtor
WD
maxtor

e_dawg

Storage Freak
And yes, excellent layout as well. Thankfully, there are no tasteless MIDI tunes and retina searing colours with poor contrast in the background as I have seen on too many amateur websites.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tea said:
Quantum

WD AC280 (or relative from the same era)

Quantum

Very good Tea, it is an AC2200 which is in the same family as the AC280. That family spanned from a AC140 to a AC2700. The AC2200 spun at 3,652-rpm, had 64KB of cache, and a 14ms Read Seek Time. I think those things have been out of production since mid 1993.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Nope, stacking is not as bad as laying on sides...

I was looking in a Fujistsu(?) article and it showed the G-forces exhibited on a drive when they fall from an upright position... well it's not good. Leaving the drives upright, they are not stable so it is a bad combination.

stacking is probably not good eaither as a drive could probably slide right off if jarred.

Both are poor practices that have become accepted in some situations. If you have a large amount of drives and want to color inside the lines store your drives in the original packaging or make your own containers.

I made a travel case out of a school supply kit and some foam. These kits are also stackable with interlocking pieces on the bottom and top of each case.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
ugh... I was at a local PC shop today .. A guy was bringing some OEM HDD's (Maxtors) on a cart from the repair section fo the shop to the back store room.

The OEM drives (about 20) were just hap hazardly stacked ontop of each other and ontop of a bunch of retail AMD processor packages.

The guy moving the HDD's was picking them up 6 at a time (3 in each hand) and holding them by applying preasure to the top and the PCB side of the drives....

In the back room it looked like it was pretty common to stack ~10 drives ontop of each other before starting another stack.. even though there was plenty of space.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Yep. That's why they say integration is the biggest cause of HD failures. The drives are normally 99.99% reliable when they leave the factory, and yet there are significantly more drive failures than you might expect. Computer shops who put OEM drives into computer with those poor storing, handling, and installation procedures are part of the problem.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I almost bought a HDD from them once, I'm glad I no longer do. I don't neccessarily think that someone has to be 100% correct 100% of the time, but when you get into a bad habit on a consistant basis there are bound to be problems.

I wonder how it has affected teir failure rates? I didn't ask, but as they are OEM drives from a tech shop who seems to specialize in sales I would assume most people would goto the manufacturer for anything other than a DOA... so the shop wouldn't even know about it.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
That is why I'm happy to buy Samsung. They come conveniently packed in a plastic holder with some shock absorption and a three-year warranty. :D

Yes, I know Cougtek, they're not the best performers, but . . .

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The three years warranty makes them more interesting than they used to be. They are still slugs, but as they currently are the only "budget" drives with a decent warranty, they constitute a nice alternative for cheapo boxes.

Since October, I have only used Western Digital SE though, since the 40GB/60GB models are sold at a very small premium here compared to all the other 2MB buffer/single year warranty drives.