Happy Easter

Handruin

Administrator
I don't follow it religiously, but happy Easter Howell. I'm using the day to spend with family.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It was not a good day to wear my "I use my powers for evil" T-shirt to get breakfast at the Denny's across the street from the Catholic church.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Oh Merc., you like to live dangerously. :eek:

I've had so many rough Easters. The worst was 1988 when there was the great flood in the Condo.

Now today I broke a toilet. I hope the Office Depot is open.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I don't and I don't, but it is indeed a good day - perfect autumn weather, 20-odd degrees, sunny with fluffy white clouds, can't get any better than that - and the compliments of the season to you all. If I could bottle weather, I'd send you today in the post. :)

Mercutio

Oh Merc., you like to live dangerously. :eek:

I did not know it was Easter. I thought Easter was last week. People keep changing it and I don't care enough to keep track.

Anyway, nothing in my town is open today except Denny's and a couple gas stations. It's rather annoying, because my cat horked on my extra bed and all the bedclothes need washing, and also I would like food that isn't eggs and toast to eat today. Guess I'll be having Chinese food for dinner.

ddrueding

Fixture
Today the weather was sketchy, but went flying anyway. Wanted to get a bunch of touch-n-gos in with a strong crosswind, and no one else was flying so I had the pattern to myself. Local restrictions keeping us above 1300ft and clouds at 1700ft, good fun.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I did not know it was Easter. I thought Easter was last week. People keep changing it and I don't care enough to keep track.
The date of Easter is 100% predictable, but is figured on a lunar calendar. So, it tends to jump around relative to our Gregorian calendar, much as lunar new year does.

Did I miss the Passover thread?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The date of Easter is 100% predictable

Not really. Or at least not exactly. I can't remember if they have changed it now, but for hundreds and hundreds of years, the date of Easter was unpredictable because the Christian higher-ups that set the day had to wait for the Jewish higher-ups to set their Passover so that the Christian Easter wouldn't be sullied by any accidental association with that no-good jew-boy festival.

Sad but true. I could look up the details if you are interested. I have a book about it somewhere. As I said, I can't remember if this monumental pettiness continues today or has been abandoned now.

Mercutio

My laundry schedule should not in any way be impacted by bronze age rules about what the moon might or might not be doing.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Not really. Or at least not exactly. I can't remember if they have changed it now, but for hundreds and hundreds of years, the date of Easter was unpredictable because the Christian higher-ups that set the day had to wait for the Jewish higher-ups to set their Passover so that the Christian Easter wouldn't be sullied by any accidental association with that no-good jew-boy festival.

Sad but true. I could look up the details if you are interested. I have a book about it somewhere. As I said, I can't remember if this monumental pettiness continues today or has been abandoned now.

It was not an anti-jew thing as much as it was a "let's get everybody on the same page worldwide thing." And even then it has taken 2000 years to agree on a calculation. The particular date is kinda irrelevant if you ask me. Kinda like pitching a fit if you can't have your birthday party on the actual day rather than when people can gather around.

Wikipedia is a reliable source on this.

Mercutio

We know full well that jesus wasn't born on December 25th but that's when it's celebrated. Why the hell can't jerkass religious people just pick a day and stick to it?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

Sol

Storage is cool
I always assumed that Easters lunar calendar came from the same place as the name and all of the symbolism (According to Wikipedia - Ēostre a Germanic goddess of the dawn.)

I really hope all the people arguing about it for so long had some serious evidence that that wasn't the case or they'd all look pretty stupid arguing about the significance of their various interpretations of something that clearly had no significance to their religion at all. (I'd read further on it but having been raised Catholic I figure I've already wasted enough of my life on the subject and am content to speculate wildly and without backing).