Google Drive 5GB of cloud space for free

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Google drive seems to be a useful service to use to exchange data to others or as a backup. Of course, because it is out there under someone else's control security is limited.

Currently I use 1GB of web space for each email account (I have 6) from Comcast to exchange files externally. This appears to be significantly more convenient.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Dropbox works just fine for a lot of people, though as I recall it tops out at 2GB for free accounts. I'd certainly rather have Google's version of the same thing, if only because I trust Google to be more available.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
It's nice to have options. I've been using dropbox for a while and if you use the beta photo uploader they start giving you 500MB space for every 500MB of photos to upload. I'm up to 3.5 GB space now.

Mercutio

I'm sure they can. The bigger issue is the massive number of people who won't be so sophisticated as to do that.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm sure they can. The bigger issue is the massive number of people who won't be so sophisticated as to do that.

And the other interesting bit. I just got an email saying that my Google Apps domains will be switching the Docs list to Drive soon...many of those Docs are permissions based.

Of course, I don't believe that they will publish this stuff, but it's annoying that they think they might want to.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Anyone with half a brain would not upload anything personal or confidential.

Mercutio

Anyone with half a brain would not upload anything personal or confidential.

There are metric assloads of people who would just be happy to figure out that they have a place to store things at all. I'm convinced that 2/3rds of all people who use computers every day don't even know how to make directories.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Ah, the metric assload. Is that 1.1023x the imperial assload? ;)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Are they going to stick PDF add files in with your other files?

Mercutio

Ah, the metric assload. Is that 1.1023x the imperial assload? ;)

While the metric assload does have an official SI value that can be derived from fundamental physical constants, I prefer the more precise, institutionally-derived value of 1.10233 WDs per Assload.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I have to admit that Googles usage rights to anything posted gives me extreme pause. Microsoft's Skydrive seems to be much better, in that light. From their history, I'm not a big fan of putting anything of value within reach of Microsoft's paws. But that is old history...

Encryption, encryption, encryption is the only way it seems.

Mercutio

The problem with Microsoft stuff is that it ties in to EVERYTHING Microsoft. Your Live ID is tightly integrated into Windows 8 just like an itunes username is all but required to make some OSX craps work.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
While a concern as written, I'm confident the agreement will be amended. Similar to what happened to dropbox.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life