Get rid of server 2003 logged shutdown/restart

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
How to?

I googled it and I don't have the group policy I see mentioned. Tried a registry key that didn't either.

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Reliability

Name:ShutdownReasonUI
Type:REG_DWORD
Value:1=enable;0=disable

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah, in gpedit I don't have a system entry under administrative templates. Setting the above registry setting didn't change it either. Possibly because those policies aren't there?

This one didn't do it either.
Windows does not display status messages if the following key is present and the value is set to 1:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableStatusMessages

Really all I want is for the machine to shut down when I hit the power switch, it does not do that now and I thought the verbose shutdown was holding that up. Power options are set to power switch = shutdown.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Microsoft has never allowed shutting down using the power switch. It has tolerated it because there is a group of the public that does that but really discouraged it because of drive caching. If you do that often enough then eventually every time you start up Windows is going to want to do a check disk when you start up the machine. You are also significantly increasing the likelyhood of file corruption, even with out caching. Also, because you will be turning off drive caching your HD performance will suffer.

If you continue with this goal at least make sure that no drive has write-caching check marked (Device manager->disk drives->each specific drive-> policies tab->write-caching policy)

ddrueding

Fixture
ATX supports "soft off" on the power button. Pressing it breifly will send a shutdown command to the OS. Holding it longer (7 seconds) causes a "hard off" that kills power and is bad for cache.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yes, I would never hard off / pull the plug on a running computer if it could be avoided.

Trying to do the graceful shutdown via the power switch, quick 1 second press. Really handy when the monitor is off, or there is no monitor. Right now I have to login with the ipad to shut the thing down if all my other computers are off.

In retrospect I suspect that my issue is this is a hacked up version of home server created by nlite. Maybe it will be worth it to get the real thing.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The server is headless, so if the desktop and laptop are off I can't get to or do anything with the server.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Oh you were making a funny, damned if I didn't spend like three minutes trying to figure out what you weren't getting about what I was saying!

Actually quite often the only thing I have on during working hours is a company machine on a VPN that can't do anything locally and an iDevice or two. After hours unless I am gaming or something it's just the iDevices.