Gentoo

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
After a few installs of Fedora Test2 and some configuration changes the system still wont boot, kernel's not happy.

So I downloaded a Gentoo minimal bootdisk, 79MB, and started to play with that. After I got it to boot (it needed the doscsi and nohotplug switches for me) I got so far as getting the network up, downloading the stage files and doing an emerge sync.

Going to continue from that tonight. It'll be fun to see how long it takes to get the system up and running.

Anyone here use gentoo?

PS backup plan working, I'm downloading SUSE 9.0 and RH Enterprise v3.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I have it installed on an old Celeron 400, 256MB RAM, 40GB hard drive. I started the install on a Saturday afternoon, and had a working system with x installed by Sunday evening. That includes time it was waiting for me to do the next step while I was either asleep or out of the house. KDE took 48 hours to compile because I made the mistake of typing "emerge kde" instead of "emerge kdebase", so it compiled a lot of stuff I didn't need. Gnome just took overnight. I did have a problem with fonts, which I described here, but have since solved (unfortunately I don't remember what it was right now). Previously, I had Suse 9 installed on this machine, which I generally liked, but was soon in RPM dependency hell when trying to install something that wasn't included.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Sure, you can ask, but I'm not sure how much help I'll be. I'm still a newbie.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I got Fedora Core 2 working tonight on a dual Xeon 500/1MB Tyan Thunder X, 1.5GB RAM machine with an intel pro 100 and a Matrox G200.

What were you trying to configure that was messing you up?

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
It was a normal install, and all the way from the first boot the kernel dies. So I never got as far as a shell, until I booted in rescue mode, tried to unload some of the stuff that was in rc3.d. That didn't help, the kernel dies on me. Default everything.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I gave Gentoo a whirl once, along with ArkLinux and some other flavors that I can't remember. They just didn't fit my needs so they were canned. My current installations of RedHat are getting a bit annoying, and I'm thinking of switching them over to Windows.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
JoJo,

Did you check the md5sum of the ISO files you've downloaded for Fedora Core Test 2? Did you verify your medias (discs) during the installation at least once for each disc?

Your problem could be with corrupted data and not with corrupted OS. It happened to me often.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
CougTek said:
JoJo,

Did you check the md5sum of the ISO files you've downloaded for Fedora Core Test 2? Did you verify your medias (discs) during the installation at least once for each disc?

Your problem could be with corrupted data and not with corrupted OS. It happened to me often.

No and No. As an excuse, I was in a hurry and the choise was do wihtout those or don't install.
A good point, but the error message looked normal to me (normal kernel "bye,bye", error in fs/xxx/xxxx then dumping information about it (like in "cut here and e-mail developers")) and the installation and rescue mode operation was trouble free.

Unfortunately I wrote the gentoo-minimal install disk over one of the disks, so I can't go back and check the exact disks. I can however write the disk in question again from the same .iso file, and then verify.

Just did the emerge system in gentoo, and now about to configure and the n compile a new kernel there.
Bootstrap took 74 minutes, emerge system took 76 minutes. Haven't had time to continue from that point.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
What's annoying you?

I was looking for something with a similar look and feel to Windows, since that is what my customers and I like. Gentoo just felt like, well, Gentoo. It was on an OS sojourn that has since passed.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tried Knoppix yet, Buck?

(I'm not trying to hijack your thread, JoJo, this is just where the discussion about Linux is right now).

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I had finally some time to install gentoo, and have now emerged (during the night) the following programs and their dependencies:
ssh,vi,tcpdump,ethereal, nmap,nessus,openldap,samba,apache, gnome and openoffice. I haven't started X yet, I'll hopefully have time for that late tonight.

After the slightly cumbersome basic install the feeling for this is getting positive.

Almost forgot, I also emerged FOLDINGATHOME !!! :) Now it's a service that automatically starts. Not bad for gentoo....