Gaming across 3 monitors?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
David:

Is there room on the Gigabyte motherboard you are using for two of those cards?
Or, are they talking about the Crossfire stuff being on the one, dual cpu card?

ddrueding

Fixture
The 5970 has internal Crossfire, but you can also run a pair of them in crossfire, resulting in 4 GPUs. Useful for resolutions in the 5000x2000 range. A pair would fit on my current board, but I would likely get one of these to go with one of these and a pair of these. Otherwise I can't fit this and this.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That's really funny 'cause XFX sent me an email on Friday that they were missing serial number 68/1000 of their 5970 limited edition product and distributors, retailers and customers should consider it stolen.

ddrueding

Fixture
That's really funny 'cause XFX sent me an email on Friday that they were missing serial number 68/1000 of their 5970 limited edition product and distributors, retailers and customers should consider it stolen.

I got that e-mail as well, but I also got one Sunday mentioning the auction and saying it was binding, etc.

Dear XFX Followers,

Thank you for participating in our latest XFX HD 5970 Black Edition Limited marketing campaign. Thanks to you, our Gamertainment Campaign was a huge success.

We received thousands of e-mails from fans giving us leads as to where to find our illusive product #68.

In return for your rabid participation one lucky winner chosen at random from our worldwide database of fans will receive one of these coveted XFX HD 5970 Black Edition Limited graphics cards. So, if this email has been sent to your email address, you are eligible and no further action is required.
SEE OFFICIAL
RULES FOR RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

The winner will be announced on the XFX HD 5970 Black Edition Limited's official launch date on our XFX Girl Facebook page. Be sure to check there to see if you are the lucky winner!

The item listing of Product #68 eBay is a valid auction. The winning bid is a binding contract and the winner will be committed to purchasing the item. This particular card will be a fully warranted product from XFX. In addition, this highly collectible merchandise comes with the wooden crate featured in the videos and signed by the XFX girls and cast of the promotion.

Watch the official debut of XFX TV and the Gamertainment promo for the XFX HD 5970 Black Edition Limited and check back for more Gamertainment releases coming soon.

Sincerely,
XFX

* All registered users/contacts of the XFX website are automatically entered. Specific rules apply to residents of the United States of America and may also apply to other countries. The deadline for new registrations for prize consideration is 11:59 PM Pacific Time, May 31, 2010.

Handruin

Administrator
What is so special about that graphics card that it has bids of $10K+?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think it's hilarious, too. Yes, it's a 4GB card with four GPUs, but it's not like there won't be something that's better in every way available by September.

Handruin

Administrator
Could someone use 2-4 generally available 5970s in crossfire to get similar performance and save $8K to $9K?

ddrueding

Fixture
What is so special about that graphics card that it has bids of $10K+?

It isn't released yet. You won't be able to buy one for quite a while (in computer terms, at least). The owner of that card will have the fastest system outside development labs for some time.

ddrueding

Fixture
Very cool, but I keep thinking that three screens is enough. This is what I am currently considering, driving 42" 1080P displays in normal (landscape) mode.