For Sale: Dual-Xeon Workstation

ddrueding

Fixture
2x Xeon E5-2687W (8 cores, 16 threads each) 3.1Ghz Clock with a turbo to 3.8Ghz
2x Corsair Dominator GT CMT32GX3M4X1866C9 (8x 8GB DDR3-1866, 64GB Total)
ASUS Z9PE-D8WS
OCZ RevoDrive X2 960GB PSIe SSD (OCZSSDPX-1RVDX0960)
nVidia Quadro NVS290 256MB PCI-E x16
2x ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme HSF
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Lian-Li PC-A77F Chassis
Windows 7 Ultimate OEM

Build was documented on this forum a while ago, and was responsible for most of my F@H points. After that it spent some time as a VMWare Workstation hosting a bunch of production machines. Always run on clean power in a 100% climate controlled server room. Never crashed, never cleaned but looks very clean inside. Chassis has a couple blemishes.

Willing to negotiate a price, I figure this is perfect for CougTek or Santilli. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
Doesn't serve a purpose for me anymore. It was part of a transition phase as one of my clients bought several others. Their new permanent infrastructure is in place, and I don't want to sit on something this expensive. I was renting it to them monthly, but I don't think I'll have another use for it for quite a while.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Too high-end for anything I do, so I wouldn't want to insult with a low ball price. Both you and the machine deserves more than that. I'm sure others feel similarly.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I make maybe $150/month with a colocated i7-2770 that has five virtual desktops and an Act database on it. I'm 45 minutes from the datacenter, so I can go fix it if need be and if I really HAD to I could bring the whole system up in my apartment in about 20 minutes.

The big problem here is that I don't know anybody who needs anything like that in the 50 - 100 seat range, which is what it would probably take to justify THAT kind of hardware for that sort of application. I don't even know what that would translate to for a pure web/database server.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'll give you $1500 for it.

Apparently that isn't even enough for one of the CPUs, so I expect you'll ignore my offer.

ddrueding

Fixture
I make maybe $150/month with a colocated i7-2770 that has five virtual desktops and an Act database on it. I'm 45 minutes from the datacenter, so I can go fix it if need be and if I really HAD to I could bring the whole system up in my apartment in about 20 minutes.

The big problem here is that I don't know anybody who needs anything like that in the 50 - 100 seat range, which is what it would probably take to justify THAT kind of hardware for that sort of application. I don't even know what that would translate to for a pure web/database server.

Yeah, that is my issue as well. It did really well virtualizing 20+ servers and 20+ workstations for quite a while without breaking a sweat. And in that time, it payed for itself quite handily. But now I have this monster just sitting here going to waste.

I'll give you $1500 for it.

Apparently that isn't even enough for one of the CPUs, so I expect you'll ignore my offer.

Not ignored, but quietly noted ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
It will be, but I've decided to hold onto it. Just building out a ridiculous workstation for the house. My Solidworks renders are taking 4+ hours on an OC'd 4960X, so it isn't completely unjustified.

The only question is would you rather have a pair of Titans or a pair of 290X in your design workstation connected to a 4k monitor?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
For SolidWorks? A pair of Titan. All our CAD stations where SolidWorks is installed have NVidia graphic cards (although those are all Quadro). Their drivers are more stable for CAD work.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I will add that SolidWorks itself isn't the most stable piece of software there is to begin with. The built-in update feature is a major PITA. Better to uninstall everything and to download the latest version with the most recent SP in my experience. Doesn't play nice with certain versions of Autodesk products either.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
What does it draw at idle?

Does it ever get off idle, doing anything;-)?

Make me an offer I can't refuse, like you did last time;-)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
DD We need to talk.

I am new to using computers to make money, from home.

Let's do lunch or something....