Folding@Home

CougTek

Serial computer killer
WTH happened with team Curecoin? They now compute around 60 million points per day. Did they hack one of Amazon's datacenters to convert it to the FAH project or what?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'm sure it won't last and I can not guarantee they won't take away the points, but someone made an error. The Chrome NaCl client is currently giving 10x the normal PPD. By my estimate I'm getting aprox. 220K PPD on my Q9450 and 180K on my q6600 CPU's. At this PPD level I make far more turning off my GPU's (which take a CPU core for each GPU) and just NaCl fold on my CPU's

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm sure it won't last and I can not guarantee they won't take away the points, but someone made an error. The Chrome NaCl client is currently giving 10x the normal PPD. By my estimate I'm getting aprox. 220K PPD on my Q9450 and 180K on my q6600 CPU's. At this PPD level I make far more turning off my GPU's (which take a CPU core for each GPU) and just NaCl fold on my CPU's

Nice. My production has skyrocketed.

ddrueding

Fixture
Currently dealing with thermal and electrical supply issues, not sure when I'll have them resolved, but it should be impressive when I do ;)

Handruin

Administrator
I'm in-between the time when it's too warm to run F@H 24-7 but not yet warm enough to put an A/C in the window. Hopefully I'll be back online with some F@H work soon.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I can't do more than I produce now. We would need a return from two or three of the formerly contributing members like Handruin, Ddrueding, Bozo or Striker.

I think it was some seven years ago that I thought that we would never come back into the top 100 teams. I'm happy to have been wrong.

Handruin

Administrator
I can't do more than I produce now. We would need a return from two or three of the formerly contributing members like Handruin, Ddrueding, Bozo or Striker.

I think it was some seven years ago that I thought that we would never come back into the top 100 teams. I'm happy to have been wrong.

I have an AC in my office now to keep the temps down. I'll start my systems back to folding. Might take some time to get points going.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!

I'll do what I can while I can.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm working on updating my mining rig to run F@H for a while. Hopefully that'll help a bit. Not sure what to expect out of that system. Any gotcha's I should look out for while running under Linux (Xubuntu 13.10) with GPU folding (no CPU folding here)? I'm updating the AMD drivers now and I've patched the system to get it up to date.

Handruin

Administrator
Perhaps Linux + AMD + GPU folding isn't so well documented...might be a while or not at all for my R9 290X contributions.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
It's been a while since I've stopped GPU folding under Linux (last December IIRC). On the VMs I use to compute the big units, I've hard better luck with Ubuntu-based distros than with Red Hat ones, like Fedora and CentOS (although I haven't tried with CentOS 7). The problem with the Red Hat based distros is that FAHControl doesn't install as simply as it should, so I've always ended up editing manually the config file, which is not as convenient.

Having FAHControl up and running makes it easier to configure the clients you want and to setup the options you want. Mark is the one who knows most what options to set with the GPU client. I remember he wrote that GPU folding wasn't very stable with AMD's GPU, but they might have fixed their problems since. I would certainly install the latest proprietary driver for Linux before trying GPU folding with Radeon.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You should now be able to AMD GPU fold using lLnux using client-type=beta or client-type advanced.

It is in a peculiar state. Curecoin complained to Proteneer about AMD not being able to fold under Linux. The programmer, released the core for AMD+Linux to them, for testing purposes, as unsupported software, but it is supposedly works fine with recent drivers.

Handruin

Administrator
You should now be able to AMD GPU fold using lLnux using client-type=beta or client-type advanced.

It is in a peculiar state. Curecoin complained to Proteneer about AMD not being able to fold under Linux. The programmer, released the core for AMD+Linux to them, for testing purposes, as unsupported software, but it is supposedly works fine with recent drivers.

I have all the FAH software installed but can't find a guide one how to write the XML config file. I only have access to the machine via SSH terminal right now so I have to configure it manually. I have the latest beta AMD drives installed. Does anyone have an example reference for the GPU setup?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I have all the FAH software installed but can't find a guide one how to write the XML config file. I only have access to the machine via SSH terminal right now so I have to configure it manually.
That is what I used to do last Fall on my Fedora VM for the SMP client. I've never done it for the GPU client though.

Handruin

Administrator
That is what I used to do last Fall on my Fedora VM for the SMP client. I've never done it for the GPU client though.

Yeah I have the config file setup with the team, passphrase, username, etc for CPU folding, but there is nothing for GPU.

This is all that's in there right now:
Code:
<config>
  <!-- Client Control -->
  <fold-anon v='true'/>

<!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
  <gpu v='false'/>

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'/>
  <team v='10047'/>
  <user v='handruin'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='0' type='CPU'/>
</config>

My windows setup has this for a config. maybe I can borrow from it?

Code:
<config>
  <!-- Network -->
  <proxy v=':8080'/>

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='FULL'/>

<passkey v='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'/>
  <team v='10047'/>
  <user v='handruin'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='0' type='GPU'>
    <client-type v='beta'/>
  </slot>
  <slot id='1' type='CPU'>
    <cpus v='6'/>
  </slot>
</config>

Handruin

Administrator
The xml config file seems to be in /etc/fahclient. At least this is where I've found it in my Lubuntu VM.

Mine is located in /etc/fahclient/config.xml under Xubuntu 13.10. That's however their package defaulted to this location. None the less it's fine where it is. I'm going to try plugging in some values like in my Windows setup and see what happens. :dunno:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The Windows Config, after you modify it slightly, should work fine to meet your Linux needs.

The modification would be to edit <cpus v='6'/> to match the number of CPU cores your Linux machine has.

Just as a side point, try configuring v7's remote access on your Windows machine first. That way after you copy the config to the Linux machine and start it running you can configure Linux folding from the Windows client directly without the need to do anything on Linux.

Handruin

Administrator
The Windows Config, after you modify it slightly, should work fine to meet your Linux needs.

The modification would be to edit <cpus v='6'/> to match the number of CPU cores your Linux machine has.

Just as a side point, try configuring v7's remote access on your Windows machine first. That way after you copy the config to the Linux machine and start it running you can configure Linux folding from the Windows client directly without the need to do anything on Linux.

Good call on the remote management, thanks! I was able to get it running. The immediate results don't look too good for performance but maybe they'll get better after a few more frames get processed? The PPD looks really low at 6153 for both cards. I'm not folding with the Linux CPU in this box it's only doing GPU folding. The CPU is way too slow to be worth running (AMD Sempron 145). I do see under Linux top that the CPU is maxed out at 100% between two FahCore_17 processes. I didn't think AMD GPUs needed much if any CPU to process? This may very well be my limiting factor here. :-(

CN8xVnZ.jpg

IPMvlUh.jpg

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
This is what my config looks like on Xubuntu with only GPU folding setup.

Code:
<config>
  <!-- Folding Core -->
  <checkpoint v='5'/>

<!-- Network -->

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>

<passkey v='XXXX'/>
  <team v='10047'/>
  <user v='timwhit'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'/>
</config>

Handruin

Administrator
This is what my config looks like on Xubuntu with only GPU folding setup.

Code:
<config>
  <!-- Folding Core -->
  <checkpoint v='5'/>

<!-- Network -->

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>

<passkey v='XXXX'/>
  <team v='10047'/>
  <user v='timwhit'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'/>
</config>

Thanks for the example config. What GPU type are you running? If AMD, do you have high CPU usage? I've removed the client-type=beta for mine for now to see if that helps anything. I've also shut down one of the GPUs and the CPU is still maxed at 100% for one. I checked the temps of the GPUs and they're pretty low which means they must be starved for data.

Handruin

Administrator
Seems after a little digging, the FahCore_17 takes a bunch of CPU time in the beginning before getting started on the GPUs. I may just have to be patient for it to get cranking.

Handruin

Administrator
This system ran through the night and both GPUs are at 13.5% completed with a TPF that's still over 37 min. Estimated completion is like 2.2 days at this rate. The CPU is still pegged at 100% and the GPU temps are very low. Maybe the AMD beta drivers are an issue for this. I'll play around a bit more.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the example config. What GPU type are you running? If AMD, do you have high CPU usage? I've removed the client-type=beta for mine for now to see if that helps anything. I've also shut down one of the GPUs and the CPU is still maxed at 100% for one. I checked the temps of the GPUs and they're pretty low which means they must be starved for data.

I'm running nVidia hardware.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The norm:

Nvidia should use one CPU core per video card.

AMD/ATI should use virtually no CPU except at the very start of the WU while it sets up the WU for the card and periodic spikes (every couple of frames) that last no more than 2 seconds.