Folding@Home

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Congratulations to Bozo for passing the 5 million points milestone.
I should have created it yesterday's evening, but it's close :
cert.Bozo_5million.jpg

Also, we should be able to keep the Overclockers.UA team at a distance and equal their production. The one that just passed us though, we won't be able to retake soon. Their member Fernandol is simply producing too much for us to catch up. He's like twice what Mark is. That's insane. I would have to buy another six GTX570 to match him. If I buy any other, it won't be more than two and it won't be before the boxing week.

Last edited:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I think, as a very small team, we are doing quite well indeed. Yes, we could be doing better with more money invested in video cards (and electricity), but I'm not complaining. Unfortunately, as more and more teams discover the value of GPU folding, I suspect that our current competative edge will diminish over time. Meanwhile, we will gain some places in rank.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We said Ni! to the Knights! This time for good. They took us back the first time we passed them, but it won't happen twice. For those who don't follow the team stats, The Knights Who Say Ni! used to be one of the top teams in the FAH ranking and it's also a very old team. About as old as ours, if not a bit more (although we've been in since the very early days). The next team I'm really looking forward to pass is Dutch Power Cows (for the same reason as TKWSN). While we also out-produce them significantly, it will be a while before we overcome them as they have more than five times our amount of points. Maybe I should focus on Little White Dog instead. We got very close to overtake them several months ago, but they increased their production significantly just before we catch them. Now we're back in the hunt. In eight months, they should be part of our hunting trophees.

At the moment of this post, we are the 57th most productive team by average daily production. We achieve more than 75% of the production of teams like Guru3D, Rage3D, Anandtech and Ars Technica. That's some serious numbers we post in. I just wish I could do even more as I'm lagging behind the freak duo that's leading our charge (P5_133XL and Ddrueding).

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I received an old working 512MB 3.2 GHz P4 (Dell Dimension 8400) with a PCI-E slot that someone just wanted to get rid of. Now I just need to get another Nvidia card, so it can fold. It's going to be my yuk yuk slug of a Win8 machine. I think I'll name it Mr. Magoo

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Nope, I've only maintained it (more or less). Of the lead trio, I'm by far the least dependant on the GPU clients and I get most of my production from the SMP clients. So the recent points drop from the GPU units didn't affect me nearly as much as it affected Mark and you.

The one who trully stepped up his game recently is Bozo. He's getting a lot of points from only two clients.

ddrueding

Fixture
Found out why my CPU at work wasn't allowing folding, must be a bad HSF mount. As soon as you start the CPU the temp goes to 100C and stays there. I have an H100i I can stick on it when I have a chance, but the watercooling rig at home is the project for the day; moving the radiator/reservoir/pump (ERM-3K3U) into the garage and adding waterblocks for the Ram and chipset.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
For the record, my new GTX 580 is a lot quieter when running the FAH client than either of my GTX 570. It isn't much faster though, about 5% better on a unit 7623 than a factory-Oced GTX 570.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
PS: If any of you recently experienced a sudden a gust of wind and a flash of light as you folded along the F@H raceway, that was probably a F@H user named "Burn_In" blowing your doors off. Burn_In started off only 3 months ago (December 2006) and is now ranked at 248th overall with over 2.1 million points! Burn_In is currently averaging 35000 points per day.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/individual_overtake.php?s=&u=204353

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Burn_In

Today, David became the third member of our team to overtake Burn_In in total points contribution. I did it at the end of December while Mark did it a few months ago (late in September or very early in October).

Now if only they could re-enable bonus points for the GPU units, it would help us tremendously.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So...what's up guys? This is the first time ever that I take half-a-million points to Mark in a week. Not that it doesn't make me proud but, something's wrong when I make 2/3 of the entire team's production. Lost interest in the project or what?

On a more positive note, Handruin has restarted contributing after a whole year hiatus.

Oh and I'll add another GTX 580 soon. I just don't have the power supply to feed it right now.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
My PPD dropped not because I've lost interest but rather because I've been running a pre-release core & WU's on several GPU's that do not generate any points.

ddrueding

Fixture
The heat in my office has been going crazy the last few weeks (85F+) and my system isn't stable while folding. I haven't been there, but when I am I reboot the thing and start it again.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
So...what's up guys? This is the first time ever that I take half-a-million points to Mark in a week. Not that it doesn't make me proud but, something's wrong when I make 2/3 of the entire team's production. Lost interest in the project or what?

On a more positive note, Handruin has restarted contributing after a whole year hiatus.

Oh and I'll add another GTX 580 soon. I just don't have the power supply to feed it right now.

Didn't lose interest. I got the electric bill.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I thought you were in Pensylvania. At this time of the year, shouldn't the heat produced by your computer allow your heating system to work a little less? I'm pretty sure that running all my computers in Winter doesn't cost me much more in electricity since I would use that electricity in additional heating anyway.

During the Summer, it's a whole different story though.

Thank you for any help you profide to the team. I don't you to feel oblige to participate either if you think it stresses you too much financially.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You are correct about the heating. But my computer is in the basement, an unheated part of the house. So the heat generated doesn't help the heated part of the house. (my heat is electric..a heat pump)
I'll still be folding on and off.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Wow, look at the pissing contest between Bozo and Handruin today! Both had their best days in recent memory. Nice contribution guys.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'll be adding a GTX 580 to replace a GTX460 that died. I got it off Ebay for $200 (which I think is a reasonable price) so it will be a week before it gets here. Who knows if it will still work but we all take our chances and this one is mine.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Are you telling me that it'll take more than 3.5 months before I overtake you? Not that I expected otherwise. You'll stop testing the point-less beta units sometime anyway.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
One of my two GTX 570 died today. It will be a while before I get the replacement.

And it looks like Stanford finally paid Mark for the work on the beta units. I won't overtake him anytime soon.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'm actually surprised I got anything! I'm pleasantly pleased. The only thing anyone ever said was 0 points for any these internal WU's. Even still, the amount given is but a fraction of what I would have gotten normally.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I do not know if I'll get to keep those points. They were never supposed to be given out and they have paused the entire testing server until they figure out what happened.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've been keeping the stats for the team since October 2010. Today, while filling the numbers for February, I've noticed a 5.8 miilion point disparity between the numbers posted after October 2010 and the amount of points we had prior to October 2010. I don't know where I made the mistake and I haven't been able to find a source to compare my numbers with, since almost all the stats page don't go back further than a year. Then, I stumbled on Free-DC's stats page. They seem to have the numbers since March 2009. I cannot see the exact numbers though, only the graphs. I'll write them to see if they can send the actual numbers for the 2009-to-2011 period.

ddrueding

Fixture
It has just been too hot in my office lately. When I'm there I need to stop it because it is too hot. And when I'm not there it crashes after about 6 hours because of the heat. As we pass into Summer and the AC units go online it won't be an issue, but at the moment the only time air circulates is when the heater is on; not helpful.