Folding@Home

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
LiamC said:
How do you know how many points you do a day (as a a team)?

Look at our stat page. In the upper righthand corner of storageforum.net, there is a link to "Fold at home". It updates every 24 hours, so you'll have to wait that long before you information shows up for the first time.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Not at all Greg, it's like using the "Turn monitor off after...mins" in the Screen Saver tab of Display Properties, but under your direct control :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
LiamC said:
Now if I could run the linux client on my SmoothWall box... But maybe I should upgrade it from the P2 400 to the Athlon XP 1600+ I have lying around
:D
Don't bother installing F@H on the P2. You'll just waste electricity. I'm not even sure it could complete a single 241 point unit in less than a week. An Athlon 1600+ is good enough to have a real impact on your stats though.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
A smoothwall machine is up 24x7 so no wasted electricity. for a P2, fold timeless work units -- i.e. no deadlines

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
P5-133XL said:
A smoothwall machine is up 24x7 so no wasted electricity. for a P2, fold timeless work units -- i.e. no deadlines

You will still be using more electricity if the CPU is being used 100% versus an average of 1-5%

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
P5-133XL said:

Hunting around the F@H forums, the way to do this on a Win98SE machine is to go to the Advanced tab (Configuration), select the Genome@home option from Client Type and check the "upload in batches" checkbox? Is this correct?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
P5-133XL said:
Don't know. Isn't smoothwall a linux application?

Yes, SmoothWall is a Linux app.

Sorry for jumping around. My comment was in reference to a previous post about whether it was worthwhile using a P!!!-600.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
LiamC said:
P5-133XL said:

Hunting around the F@H forums, the way to do this on a Win98SE machine is to go to the Advanced tab (Configuration), select the Genome@home option from Client Type and check the "upload in batches" checkbox? Is this correct?

That appears to be correct: I did a search on F@H forums.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Thank you Mark.

I also found out that you can SSH into a Smoothie and transfer the Linux console client. By the looks of things, it will take 7 days to complete a WU, but as the Smoothie is always on...

</bill goes folding mad>

:rofl

Look out Greg, you're first on my hit list :mrgrn:

Gilbo

Storage is cool
BAH, my folding machines are dropping like flies.

No sooner does F@H decide it just doesn't want to run on one of my fileservers, but my girlfriend discovers the speaker out doesn't work on her replacement mobo. Her franken-dell is currently in pieces (Would you believe I had to wire another front-panel in through the side panel to start it because Dell uses non-standard front-panel connectors!). I got to my favourite local computer shop Robotnik.com just before close, but buddy didn't have any Socket 478 boards lying around and said he would have to root through a shipment they just got in, tomorrow. Grumbly, grumbly...

Argghh. If this keeps up I'll be down to zero production in 72 hours! At least the old tank of an Athlon XP music-box/print-server is still running strong. Good old Socket A's...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
:lol: CougTek

And Gilbo, you hit the nail on the head. Intel is faster at folding, but AMD is more reliable. :)

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Well, my fileserver is back up. I reinstalled the OS and folding works again.

On the other hand, my other fileserver is down because I decided to reinstall the OS on it too and I haven't finished yet. Eventually I'll get everything together :).

Handruin

Administrator
I have three machines folding right now...and I'm still behind you Coug. WTF

A64 3200+
Sempron 2800+
Celerstink 2.53GHz

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
LiamC said:
Thank you Mark.

I also found out that you can SSH into a Smoothie and transfer the Linux console client. By the looks of things, it will take 7 days to complete a WU, but as the Smoothie is always on...

</bill goes folding mad>

:rofl

Look out Greg, you're first on my hit list :mrgrn:

Please :excl: I'm running folding at home on a Mac G3 333 laptop. The dual is too noisy to run all the time9 :mrgrn: :mrgrn: :mrgrn: since I haven't replaced the noisy assfans, Sunons, with the quiet Vantecs(that are sitting on my desk :diablo: I can't figure out why you would target someone with such a slow computer in the first place :wink: :mrgrn:

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You DO have to admit, the G3 333mhz processor out preforms xeons, and athlons, in folding at home, just look at my figures. :twistd:

gs

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Tannin said:
Does the Intel advantage apply to the Pentium M too? Or just the P4?

DARN!, That explains it. It's the part time 1.4 ghz, PM, 1.4 ghz that's really doing the ass kicking. Damn ape, you guys are sooo smart...

:wink:

s

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Pentium M has the SSE2 advantage. Conroe--Desktop Pentium M based chip should be impressive @ folding.

Santilli said:
I can't figure out why you would target someone with such a slow computer in the first place

'Cause I've gone mad silly! :bstd:

Don't feel bad, it's taking me the following to amass the points--all are on 24/7

X2 3800+ @ 4200+ (2.2GHz) 2 instances of folding
S754 2800+ @ 2.25GHz
AXP 1600+ @ 1.5GHz
P!!!-600
P2-400

Looks like we hit the 13 000 points mark, but we are still losing ground :( We are going to overtake a couple of teams, but we are going to be overtaken by a couple as well

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Needless to say, my power bill should be "interesting"

Maybe I should upgrade the three slow machine to one X2, they do run cool and don't sip much juice...

:mrgrn:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Bill C said:
Looks like we hit the 13 000 points mark, but we are still losing ground :( We are going to overtake a couple of teams, but we are going to be overtaken by a couple as well.
In the short term, no matter what we'll do, we'll lose positions anyway because the two main teams in our ass are top 20 contenders (perhaps even top 15). If you exclude them, we are doing quite well. In six months, if all things remain the same, we'll get more positions than we'll lose. Plus, MajorGeeks aren't out of our range. Even if they pass us in a month, it doesn't mean we won't be able to overtake them later on. Look at the Pabsters. We are now out-producing them and we'll pass them eventually. Sooner than later if we continue to increase our production just another small bit.

I'm very optimistic that we'll be part of the top 100 teams by next summer.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
This evening I set up that Pentium Pro motherboard I tried to give away earlier this year. It's running with a 200MHz processor.

I just did the math for the current work unit: it's going to take 28 days to complete! :eek:

That one, single work unit was completed this evening. My 200 MHz Pentium Pro had been running non-stop, 24 hours a day, seven days a week with no down time. It took 29 days.

I reviewed the information the server passed back after the work unit was turned in. There were no messages about the work unit having expired or anything like that. Is that normal?

P.S. Handy, if you're interested in selling that 1.2 MHz Duron, let me know.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
CougTek said:
Look at the Pabsters. We are now out-producing them and we'll pass them eventually. Sooner than later if we continue to increase our production just another small bit.

I'm very optimistic that we'll be part of the top 100 teams by next summer.

Just about sums THG up really--fading into oblivion :wink:

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
i message me. I have the cure for all your folding woes. Yes, a genuine Intel Inside with the Folding Intel Advantage with dual processors! Send no money! Well, OK, send some money. But only a moderate amount. No more than a few hundreds of dollars. Oh, and the last 16 digits of your credit card. And I will double your Folding Power! She Will Never Be Dissapointed Again! Watch your friends go pale with envy ... er ... with possibly envy but possibly something else. If you have any friends, of course. But they will definately go pale. Watch the delight on the face of your power utility's sales representatives. Fold like a real man! You too can have a dual processor space heater!

Handruin

Administrator
i said:
P.S. Handy, if you're interested in selling that 1.2 MHz Duron, let me know.

It's not even a Duron, it's a full athlon Thunderbird 1.2GHz socket A. Anyway, if you want it I can ship it to you at no cost with an optional alpha heatsink and fan. Send me a PM if you're still interested.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
i said:
That one, single work unit was completed this evening. My 200 MHz Pentium Pro had been running non-stop, 24 hours a day, seven days a week with no down time. It took 29 days.

I just checked some WU out. It looks like it will take the P2 392--P2-350 on a 112MHz bus with 96MB RAM--14 or 15 days to do 1 WU--about twice the speed of your PPro 200 funnily enough. It took my P!!!-616 (it's actually a 733 running on a 112MHz bus) 7 days to do 1 work unit, so SSE must give it a reasonable boost. 24/7, they can contribute.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
When you are dealing with a low-end processor like the Pentium Pro, P2, or P3 I strongly suggest that you only deal with timeless WU's. While some normal WU's may get returned in time, many won't. You really don't want to waste your time folding something that won't count. So timeless is the way to go.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Mark, I set the timeless option on both a few days ago. These WU were the first ones they started, and apart from not knowing how to stop a WU from completing, :oops: I didn't want to lose the production. It was luck that they completed--or will in the required time.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Tannin said:
i message me. I have the cure for all your folding woes. Yes, a genuine Intel Inside with the Folding Intel Advantage with dual processors! Send no money! Well, OK, send some money. But only a moderate amount. No more than a few hundreds of dollars. Oh, and the last 16 digits of your credit card. And I will double your Folding Power! She Will Never Be Dissapointed Again! Watch your friends go pale with envy ... er ... with possibly envy but possibly something else. If you have any friends, of course. But they will definately go pale. Watch the delight on the face of your power utility's sales representatives. Fold like a real man! You too can have a dual processor space heater!

Tannin! I told you not to read this post! :wink:

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Oh, and Tannin, the reason I've started folding again is because it's winter here. Space heaters are something I am actively looking for. :) As I posted earlier, if I'm going to be using wild hordes of electrons to heat my apartment, they may as well do something else while they're here.

Also, for no particular reason I'm trying to get through all of November without turning the central heating on. It was really cold here last night, and I think it's going to be worse on Friday, but luckily the weather is going to start warming up again at the end of this week. It looks like I'll make it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
i said:
Also, for no particular reason I'm trying to get through all of November without turning the central heating on.
I'd like to see you try to do that here. It was -9C last night. Glad I put my winter tires yesterday's afternoon as there's around three inches of snow outdoor today...and snow will be falling for the rest of the day so it's not over.