Flies actually do fly... (by Captain Obvious)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I remember listening to a couple of math majors in my CS classes complaining that "prove 2" was an obscenely difficult thing to do.

It took Stephen Hawking to prove that time moves forward.

Science doesn't work if everything is assumed. Sometimes the assumptions have to be proven, too.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Typical moronic journalists. They don't even provide the names of the authors, let alone the title of the paper so that you can read it for yourself.

There are actually some major problems involved with the physics of small flying creatures. Once you get doen to a certain scale, the (reasonably well-understood) rules of orthodox aerodynamics do not apply. There are a number of fields where this stuff is of practical importance. (Not t o mention its tremendous import for the theoretical underpinning that allows us to understand things like the evolution of winged creatures in the first place.)

An obvious example is the development of very small UAVs (unmanned aerial vechicles) for military and non-military purposes.

Or, consider the flying head used in rotating magnetic storage - this too is a very small object that we need to fully understand the aerodynamics of if we are to get the best performance out of it.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
Or, consider the flying head used in rotating magnetic storage - this too is a very small object that we need to fully understand the aerodynamics of if we are to get the best performance out of it.

It also has applications for fluids of different densities. Like say water or liquid hydrogen on another planet. IIRC, as the density of the fluid deceases the departure from normal fluid mechanics phenomena happens with larger objects.