First World SSD Problems

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
If all of my storage is M.2, how does the motherboard know to blink the HDD activity LED?

How do I know it's actually activity on the drives?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
If all of my storage is M.2, how does the motherboard know to blink the HDD activity LED?

How do I know it's actually activity on the drives?

The LED on my case blinks when the M.2 SSD is in use. There is also an LED on most laptops with only the M.2 slot.
I don't know if the LED indicates that the SSD is actually writing or simply receiving the command to write, but does it matter?
I suppose it might not work of you are using M.2 drives on PCIe cards.

fb

Storage is cool
Hmm, I just realised how much I miss the sound from the actuators on my old Seagate Cheetah 15K.3, when they were hammering down the bytes on the disk. That was almost better feedback than a LED.

Handruin

Administrator
I bet with an arduino we could build you a device with a volume control knob that makes HD clicky noises during SATA activity. Could be a fun project just for the hell of things.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I bet with an arduino we could build you a device with a volume control knob that makes HD clicky noises during SATA activity. Could be a fun project just for the hell of things.

What do you need one of those for? Can't the sound be implemented in software? Maybe they could make that bizarre X15 sound.