FiOs

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Does anyone have this? They claim the Fibros are bridged to the Cu home wires so the telephones are normal but I have to buy a battery supply. Can a regular UPS be used?
The internet would be wireless which would be a PITA, but how does the TV work?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I have Verizon FIOS.
There is fiber to the home. At the home, usually inside, is the verizon network access box. They call it an ONT. This has a ups style battery as a backup. It takes fiber in and has an RJ45 port for internet only or coax for tv/internet. Mine also has four phone ports. They provide this box and install it. In order to have their TV you need to use their router which uses the coax connection. I stopped using their TV and have internet only so I use the RJ45 port and use my own router.
Before that I used my own router behind their router and turned off the wireless of their router.

I use an antenna for TV now.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've never seen an optical network terminal installed inside. Although it's more difficult to place than a regular NID, since the ONT needs power, Verizon prefers to put their equipment where they can easily get to it.

Everyone I've talked to with the service had a triple play. Their boxes had one or two RJ-45 for Internet, a coax for TV (still requires boxes), and two or four RJ-11 for phone. Verizon provided their own battery either in the same box or in a separate box next to it.

I understand that they can run MoCa over coax if that's easier than ethernet.

Handruin

Administrator
Yes I have FIOS. You can plug the ONT into a UPS. I do not use the FIOS wireless and plug a CAT6 into my own router from the ONT. My house is wired. The TV works through one of their cable boxes over RG6. The TV service menu guide uses the internet. I don't have a telephone through FIOS so I can't speak to that.

LunarMist

Thanks. I expected to be relocated after the reorg, but not yet. I still expect it by Q4 or early Q1 2019 so I don't want any major wiring but the internet is sucking more than ever. :( All we have now is phone and cable in the walls.
FIOS was just recently added in the streets and back ways. There is some connection nearby to the electric breakers that would go maybe 10 ft. To get inside the house. If I had my own wireless router connected to the FIOs box network can that signal be received by one device on the other end that connects to my existing wired network in the computer area? I don't want each computer to require a separate WiFi receiver.
I think the cordless phones would be OK at the box, but the TVs in multiple rooms would be an issue.

Handruin

Administrator
It sounds like you're describing a wifi bridge if you're looking to connect two networks via wifi.

LunarMist

Does that exist easily on the Netgears or require special equipment? Thanks.

Handruin

Administrator
You should be able to use commodity hardware. Some access points have a bridge mode. I bought a small Netgear device years ago that had a 100Mb rj45 Port and it supported connecting to access points using 802.11n.