F@H Tips, Tricks, Traps

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance

I noticed some of you (somewhere in that huge F@H thread) were talking about running two instances of Folding At Home -- one on each core of your dual-core or dual processor system.

I tried running more than one instance of F@H (Windows version 5.03) on a older dual processor Pentium III as well as a hyper-threaded Pentium 4. In both cases I immediately got an application error message saying essentially, "can't run more than one copy of F@H, this copy is quitting." I tried the obvious trick of setting processor affinity to the first pair of Folding processes running in memory (FAHcore_xx.exe and WinFAX.exe) before I launched the second instance of F@H. That did nothing to resolve the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Mr. Clueless At Folding

Handruin

Administrator
Funny enough, I just posted a thread on this minutes ago here:
http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5946

Did you create two seperate folders of the FAH software and then try running the "-configonly" option from the command line for each install? You need to specify different machine ID's for each running instance. Check the link in my other post and see if their information helps.

Handruin

Administrator
:rotfl:

Don't stop posting until you get this issue figured out! We need your folding power. ;)